"The journey to Shanklands" Makouria by grets

Makouria Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 39 photos

This page is going to be difficult to write, as most of the things I will write about didn't happen in Makouria. In fact, we didn't actually go to Makouria itself, we stayed in a hotel outside the village.

The fun part of this place was getting there, and that is what I want to tell you about - the Journey! It really was the most adventurous road trip we've ever done, and one of the most uncomfortable. hahaha

I didn't know whether to add it all under Transport or Must See section, so I have put the whole journey under the General topic. It reads a little like a travel journal, so for it to make sense, it would be best to read it in Author's order.

Have fun - we did! :-)

• Pros:Chain saws, machetes, tow ropes, strong men, a sense of humour
  • Cons:Soft sand, slippery mud, fallen trees, huge bugs, logging lorries
  • In a nutshell:The greatest road trip ever!
  • Last visit to Makouria: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2004

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2006 at 12:46 PM

Although this area would not be my "cup of tea", I found reading about it quite entertaining. At the first sight of a spider, I would be tramatized. Quite an ordeal. Great photos to document this encounter with the natural elements.

• Mar 7, 2005 at 8:05 AM

Lucky you, getting 3 extra hours with sand, bushes, mud etc for FREE :-) Think I will have double with mosquito net - to keep those heary big spiders away.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2004 at 6:14 PM

Getting there is half the fun? Another great page, Grete.

• sasa2977's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2004 at 9:47 AM

Thanks for the birthday greetings. What a fun adventure you had! Great page and pics.

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2004 at 4:22 AM

What a cute itsy bitsy spider. :-D - I always complain about the bad roads here but I am glad they are still better then the dusty roads there

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Makouria

Have you been to Makouria?

Latest Activity in Makouria