"Goa" Goa by grets

Goa Travel Guide: 2,069 reviews and 3,929 photos

Christmas on the beach

We spent Christmas day on the beach with a Kingfisher and a Curry, sun blazing down and the bars playing a mixture of techno music and Christmas Carols. Bizzare!

When asked what he wanted for his 50th birthday, my husband answered ‘a trip to Goa’. We were unable to take holiday at the time of his birthday in July, so Christmas was chosen instead. We booked a cheap charter flight (which I believe is not possible to do any more) and some accommodation over the Internet.

Goa was everything we wanted it to be: warm ocean, gently swaying palms, a medley of inexpensive restaurants, convivial people, beautiful sunsets, lovely beaches and wall-to-wall sunshine. But we didn’t go there to lie on a sun bed with a drink in one hand and a book in the other (no?); we wanted to discover what this part of India had to offer. We hired a ‘man with a van’ to go out on daily explorations of the surrounding area, and discovered some delightful and un-touristy places.

Sightseeing

As always with our trusty Lonely Planet guide book.

• Pros:Weather, beach, people, food, prices
  • Cons:Rubbish on the road sides
  • In a nutshell:Beautiful - India is still my favourite country
  • Last visit to Goa: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 4, 2004

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2008 at 10:36 PM

Great page of Goa - churches, temples, beach, jungles, culture - has many attractions and thanks for the warning tips too. There is also a St. Xavier's Institution, a famous secondary school, in Penang Island named after St. Francis Xavier. Cheers, SL :)

• Dec 15, 2006 at 11:01 PM

Hey grets, this is not Calangute Church, its Saligao Church!

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2006 at 7:27 PM

I throughly enjoyed your Goa page. Yes it is a problem in India and in other Asian countries about the use of plastic and civic sense! Did you try O'Cocerio & Dinky's at Calangute?

• HARMONICAJON's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 3:37 PM

Hey Grets, you really ought to get out more !! Can't believe you've never been to Wotton-Under -Edge, so close to home..Te-He.....Keep on trucking girl....

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2005 at 4:36 AM

I have fond memories of Christmas in Goa..Ahh , like your tips, You have prompted me in to getting my Goa pages down...Now, where did I put those photos.................

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2005 at 5:24 AM

I'm going to Goa with 2 of "my girls" on Oct.25th... can't wait! Thanks for sharing your great tips... they'll come in handy :-)

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 1:20 PM

Plenty to keep one occupied here, the lake sounds lovely too. Pretty feet Grete! (~_~)

• May 13, 2005 at 11:26 AM

Hi, Please do not pose with the elephants , snake charmers or any other animal abusers. it might look quite innocent to you, but these animals suffer from being alienated from their natural environment and even physical abuse. Ricardo

• Feb 19, 2005 at 10:44 AM

Something you may want to add... "Macka Naka" means i don't want to buy. and "Chelo" means (if they are very persistant, GO AWAY.

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2004 at 2:48 PM

Thank you, what a lovely Christmas Card! A Beach Christmas instead of the White one, wonderful. Beautiful henna tattoo and spices would be my choice, too.

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Goa