"Jaipur - the Pink City" Jaipur by grets
Jaipur Travel Guide: 1,051 reviews and 3,140 photos
Jaipur is popularly known as the Pink City because of the red paint used to create an impression of red coloured sandstone being used in construction work. The buildings were repainted in 1876, in tiem for the visit of the Prince of Wales.
The city was founded in 1727 AD by the stronomer king Sawai Jai Singh, one of the greatest rulers of the Kachhawaha clan, and the city was named after him. He chose an exact date for moving his capital from Amber to Jaipur - November 17th 1727 - as particularly auspicious and proceeded to lay the city out according to the disposition of the most important stars and planets. He also ordered the city to be painted pink, the colour which the astrologers declared auspicious for him.
In the Jharokha Restaurant in the hotel, Indian Musicians were playing. Although I am not generally a great lover of... more travel advice
At the Rambagh Palace we came across this nicely dressed local chap. Although he looked nice, nad posed willingly for... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Jaipur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Jaipur"
- "Jaipur, the pink city of Rajasthan"
- "The Pink City, Rajasthan's sunny capital"
- "Jaipur-The City of Palaces,Forts&Gardens"
- "Jaipur: The Capital of Rajputana !"
- "Jaipur - The Pink City"
- "Jaipur जयपुर"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jaipur
- Hotels in Jaipur
- Transportation in Jaipur
- Nightlife in Jaipur
- Restaurants in Jaipur
- Shopping in Jaipur
- Warnings and Dangers in Jaipur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jaipur
- 42 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Jaipur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jaipur
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos