Mysore Things to Do Tips by grets Top 5 Page for this destination
Mysore Things to Do: 102 reviews and 217 photos
The Maharaja’s Palace really is a fairytale structure and dominates the centre of Mysore. The palace was completed in 1912 on the site of another palace which was destroyed by fire in 1897. The building is 75m long, 48m wide and 44m high, surrounded by twelve temples. There are six gates, but the only one which you may enter through is the south gate.
See General Tips for pictures of the amazing interior of the Palace
Halfway down Chamundi Hill is Nandi the bull, Lord Shiva's vehicle. It is quite an impressive sculpture, five metres high and carbed from a single piece of black granite in 1659. Legend claims that the it was built in a single night. It is the third largest Nandi in India.
There were a group of these pilgroms here when we arrived and I felt a little uncomfortable about taking photos until they actually beckoned me to do so.
These ornamental gardens have been laid out alongside a 2.6 km long dam. Our local guide was extremely proud of these gardens and really looking forward to showing them off to us. We were, I'm afraid to say, somewhat unimpressed. Many terrasses and fountains adorn the ground, but there was nothing of great interest there. Sorry.
At night the fountains are lit up - see nightlife tip.
More Reviews (15)
- See All Spectacular nighttime display
- See All Palace interior # 4
- See All Local transport # 2
- Such a romantic place
grets' Related Pages
Mysore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mysore, Maharadjas and fairy tales"
- "Mysore ~ The City of Palaces"
- "The Demon Town"
- "A beautiful palace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mysore
- Hotels in Mysore
- Transportation in Mysore
- Nightlife in Mysore
- Restaurants in Mysore
- Shopping in Mysore
- Warnings and Dangers in Mysore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mysore
- 18 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Mysore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mysore
Photos in MysoreSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (88)
- Chamundi Hill- 9 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Palace- 8 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Brindavan Gardens- 3 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Tippu Sultan's Summer Palace- 2 Reviews, 4 Photos
- St. Philomena Church- 4 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Deveraja Market- 4 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Chamundeswari Temple- 6 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Zoo- 3 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Nandi The Bull- 3 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Amba Vilas Palace- 5 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Mysore Things to Do