"Trivandrum" Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram by grets
Thiruvananthapuram Travel Guide: 240 reviews and 516 photos
Having been to north India ten years earlier, I really wanted to see another part of India. My father was also ready for a re-visit, whereas my mother and husband had both hated India the first time, so were not very keen to go back.
I watched a travel program where Peter Stringfellows travelled through the backwaters of Kerala on a houseboat, and I was really taken with that idea.
I saw that you could take an overnight excursion from Goa to the backwaters, but once I started looking into it, I realised that there is so much to see in southern India that it warrants a complete holiday of its own. And that's what we did.
Our holiday was organised by Simon Bazely, an Englishman who has made his home in India and runs a small travel company called Choomti. I told him what I wanted to see and the type of hotels I wanted to stay in, and he put together an itinerary for us.
We were really well looked after all the time we were there, and received very personal service from Simon and his agents in the various places.
Our journey took us from Trivandrum by train to Bangalore where we picked up a car with a driver to continue south again via Mysore, Ooty, Madurai, Periyar, backwaters cruise and Alleppey, Cochin and finsihing with a couple of days on the beach in Kovalam.
I would also like to say, that at the end of this trip, even my mother and husband were hooked on India!
Trivandrum, the capital of Kerala, is a charming and friendly town with an undulating landscape where large public buildings are surrounded by lovely gardens. Lacking sea breezes, it can get rather hot, so the city is most comfortably explored in the morning or late afternoon and evening. The main city streets are generally clean and safe, although you should abviously be aware of your surroundings. Widespread literacy, land ownership and welfare programmes have resulted in a reduction of homeless children and beggars you see so many other places in India.
The all-vegetarian food was served from huge containers on to banana leaves placed on the table. No cutlery or crockery... more travel advice
As soon as we arrived, we were told that we were going straight out again, as we'd been invited to a wedding. The happy... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Thiruvananthapuram Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Trivandrum , My present Hometown"
- "Trivandrum : The very relaxed Capital of Kerala"
- "Beachs,Fish,Rain&Umbrella :)))not in order."
- "Thiru-Vananthapuram - Abode of the snake!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thiruvananthapuram
- Hotels in Thiruvananthapuram
- Transportation in Thiruvananthapuram
- Nightlife in Thiruvananthapuram
- Restaurants in Thiruvananthapuram
- Shopping in Thiruvananthapuram
- Warnings and Dangers in Thiruvananthapuram
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thiruvananthapuram
- 14 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (63)
Have you been to Thiruvananthapuram?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thiruvananthapuram
Photos in ThiruvananthapuramSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos