"Trivandrum" Top 5 Page for this destination Thiruvananthapuram by grets

Thiruvananthapuram Travel Guide: 237 reviews and 510 photos

The start of our South India tour

Having been to north India ten years earlier, I really wanted to see another part of India. My father was also ready for a re-visit, whereas my mother and husband had both hated India the first time, so were not very keen to go back.

I watched a travel program where Peter Stringfellows travelled through the backwaters of Kerala on a houseboat, and I was really taken with that idea.

I saw that you could take an overnight excursion from Goa to the backwaters, but once I started looking into it, I realised that there is so much to see in southern India that it warrants a complete holiday of its own. And that's what we did.

Our holiday was organised by Simon Bazely, an Englishman who has made his home in India and runs a small travel company called Choomti. I told him what I wanted to see and the type of hotels I wanted to stay in, and he put together an itinerary for us.

We were really well looked after all the time we were there, and received very personal service from Simon and his agents in the various places.

Our journey took us from Trivandrum by train to Bangalore where we picked up a car with a driver to continue south again via Mysore, Ooty, Madurai, Periyar, backwaters cruise and Alleppey, Cochin and finsihing with a couple of days on the beach in Kovalam.

I would also like to say, that at the end of this trip, even my mother and husband were hooked on India!

Trivandrum

Trivandrum, the capital of Kerala, is a charming and friendly town with an undulating landscape where large public buildings are surrounded by lovely gardens. Lacking sea breezes, it can get rather hot, so the city is most comfortably explored in the morning or late afternoon and evening. The main city streets are generally clean and safe, although you should abviously be aware of your surroundings. Widespread literacy, land ownership and welfare programmes have resulted in a reduction of homeless children and beggars you see so many other places in India.

• Last visit to Thiruvananthapuram: Nov 1998
  • Intro Updated Nov 11, 2004

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I enjoyed reading your trip here including attending a local wedding. Like a homestay :)

• PierreZA's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2008 at 3:18 AM

Hi, a very nice page! Will be visiting there in October, regards, Pierre

• Rupanworld's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2008 at 12:44 AM

Great India page Gret. I wish I was in India at the time. South India is fascinating, so is the whole of India. I wish to meet you when you make yet another tour to India sometime. I would love to show you around a bit.

• songlines's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 2:17 PM

Enjoyed your pages and photos very much! I found South India a wonderful experience too, the lassi yes a great great drink, so cooling! Greetings from West Cork

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2006 at 7:20 AM

Hah! you forgot to give David the 4 gallon water jug to carry. nice photo Grete.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2005 at 6:21 AM

The wedding sounds like a great experience. I have never drank a lassi out of my hands. That would be tricky! You all must be good sports to handle the train ride. The bites look painful.

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2005 at 3:55 PM

Just a small wedding then, close friends & family, lol. Fantastic experience Grete, both the wedding & the train journey. (~_~)

• nada1712's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2005 at 9:28 AM

Been there! Done that! You got it absoulutely right Grets!! Lovely pages

• suvanki's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2004 at 3:14 PM

Great start Grete, Will keep checking in to read more about your S India trip. Can't believe that its nearly a year since I was in Trivandrum, feels like only yesterday!,

grets

“If you keep your face to the sunshine, you cannot see the shadows”

Badges & Stats in Thiruvananthapuram

Have you been to Thiruvananthapuram?

Latest Activity in Thiruvananthapuram