"Mbarara District" Mbarara District by grets
Mbarara District Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 9 photos
Mbarara district was originally known as Ankore region during the 1970's. It was divided into east Ankore and West Ankore but was renamed during the Idi Amin regime.
Mbarara is located in south-western Uganda.
Mbarara is a very agricultural district. Currently the district is the leading producer of matoke (bananas) in Uganda.
The main cash crops grown here are bananas, vegetables, Irish potatoes, coffee, maize and beans. Plantain are the major staple food, others being sweet potatoes, Irish potatoes, beans and maize.
Electricity is available for industrial and domestic use in urban areas. Boreholes, spring and wells are the main sources of water in villages but there is piped water in most towns.
Comments in my Tips sections are mostly an extract from my diary written during the journey through Uganda.
When I seew this local bus I am really glad that we have our own private transport and driver. I would niot relish much... more travel advice
The norm in Uganda is to order your dinner a few hours before you actually want to eat it, so we choose our food before... more travel advice
grets' Related Pages
Mbarara District Travel Guide
- Hotels in Mbarara District
- Transportation in Mbarara District
- Nightlife in Mbarara District
- Restaurants in Mbarara District
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mbarara District
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Mbarara District?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mbarara District
Photos in Mbarara DistrictSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana Intro, 104 reviews, 338 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tehran Intro, 61 reviews, 267 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Masai Mara Game Reserve Intro, 109 reviews, 152 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tibet Intro, 67 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lhasa Intro, 46 reviews, 174 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 33 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sawai Madhopur Intro, 69 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mole National Park Intro, 27 reviews, 147 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mali Intro, 82 reviews, 87 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 80 reviews, 82 photos