"Williamsburg Village" Williamsburg Village by smschley
Williamsburg Village Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 27 photos
Ever wish you had a time machine and could go back in time? Well you can step back in time to a thriving 18th-century community when you visit Colonial Williamsburg. America’s largest living history museum offers an unparalleled view of daily Colonial life when Williamsburg was the largest and most populated of Britain’s 13 colonies making it a powerful center of politics, commerce and culture. Over 500 original and carefully reconstructed public buildings, private homes, taverns and shops, and 90 acres of gardens and public greens comprise the Historic Area.
From 1699 to 1780, Williamsburg was the political, cultural, and educational center of what was then the largest, most populous, and most influential of the American colonies. It was here that the fundamental concepts of our republic, responsible leadership, a sense of public service, self-government, and individual liberty, were nurtured under the leadership of patriots such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
In 1926, the Reverend Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, convinced John D. Rockefeller Jr., into preserving the site and restoration then began. Today you can step back in time to a thriving 18th-century city. Williamsburg is America’s largest living history museum and offers an unparalleled view of daily Colonial life when Williamsburg was the largest and most populated of Britain’s 13 colonies making it a powerful center of politics, commerce and culture.
More than 100 million visitors have come to Colonial Williamsburg since 1932, among them have been world leaders including U.S. presidents Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower, Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton. More than 100 heads of state and government have toured the site on their way to visit the White House.
Written May 9, 2016
'Williamsburg sites 1'
Written May 9, 2016
'Williamsburg sites 2
smschley's Related Pages
Williamsburg Village Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Colonial Williamsburg: Through the Seasons"
- "Williamsburg Village"
- "I went here... sort of"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Williamsburg Village
- Hotels in Williamsburg Village
- Restaurants in Williamsburg Village
- Shopping in Williamsburg Village
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Williamsburg Village
- 1 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Williamsburg Village?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Williamsburg Village
Photos in Williamsburg VillageSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 32 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lviv Intro, 25 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 36 reviews, 57 photos
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Canterbury Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Philadelphia Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 8 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues