"Appomattox" Appomattox Court House National Historical Park by smschley
Appomattox Court House National Historical Park Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 21 photos
I’m a history buff and one of the most important sites in American history is Appomattox. The name of Lee is tied to Appomattox in much the same way Napoleon is tied to Waterloo. While a battle was not waged there, it marked the end of his life as a man leading an army. At a site two miles to the north on Virginia Route 24 at Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, General Lee surrendered the Army of Virginia to General Grant. Lee had for four years destroyed northern armies that outmanned him but finally had reached the point where his army could not be sustained. The north had feared that Lee would break his army up into small groups and wage guerilla warfare, but to Lee’s credit, he understood that this would only lengthen the suffering. While the war would go on a bit longer, it set the tone for the other Southern Generals to lay down arms and allow the South to start the long road to healing.
After the surrender, Lee returned to Richmond. He assumed the presidency of Washington College (now Washington and Lee University). His example of conduct for thousands of ex-Confederates made him a legend even before his death on October 12, 1870.
smschley's Related Pages
Appomattox Court House National Historical Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The End"
- "Basaic Appomattox Court House NHP Page"
- "Appomattox Court House"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Appomattox Court House National Historical Park
- 1 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Appomattox Court House National Historical Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Appomattox Court House National Historical Park
Photos in Appomattox Court House National Historical ParkSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 32 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lviv Intro, 25 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 36 reviews, 57 photos
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Canterbury Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Philadelphia Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 8 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
No friends yet.