Chernivtsi Warnings Or Dangers Tips by smschley Top 5 Page for this destination

Chernivtsi Warnings and Dangers: 8 reviews and 4 photos

Don't drink the water - Chernivtsi
Don't drink the water

Water warnings are common for travelers. On my first trip to the Ukraine 15 years ago I made the mistake of drinking the water in the form of compote.. My stomach wasn’t real happy about it. This time I decided to do a better job about not drinking water.

This time I resolved to do a better job. I was about to make my morning coffee and even though it was going to be boiled it didn’t look good coming out of the pipes. If you put water in a glass and let it sit you can see all sorts of sediment that is coming along with the water. In addition, the tub that we used for showers was also stained by the water coming through the pipes. Given this, I needed something else to make my coffee with.

Luckily we weren’t the only one with this problem and some resourceful entrepenur created a business out of purifying water and delivering it in a fleet of water trucks. The water is contained in a large tank in the back of the truck and they pour it into containers brough by there customers. If you don’t have a good container you can buy them also. The deliver the water into certain areas on a schedule and one can either ask around or keep an eye open. I didn’t have the water tested from the truck, but at least it was clear and didn’t have any odor.

Ukrainians are used to waiting in lines from years gone by. It’s kind of a social event and a time to mingle. My job was to let the wife mingle and smile… and carry the water jugs

• Written Jan 2, 2009

smschley

“I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.”

Badges & Stats in Chernivtsi

Have you been to Chernivtsi?

Latest Activity in Chernivtsi