"Calais" Nord-Pas-de-Calais by smschley
Nord-Pas-de-Calais Travel Guide: 1,179 reviews and 3,213 photos
The Ferry from Dover to Calais has for the past few decades been called the “Booze Cruise”. As the closest landing point in France, Calais has long been the port of passage across the Channel to England. UK travelers have been aware that there are great wine and beer bargains to be found across the water in France. Calais is so close to the south coast ports of Dover that day trips to stock up on goods can be very easy and can save a lot of money. While this has been it’s main draw, in Calais you can also enjoy traditional French restaurants, and despite the town having been flattened in two 20th century wars, you can also find a lot of surviving glimpses into its past.
The English liked the place so much that from 1347 to 1558 they occupied Calais after complaints from English merchants that the old port was a "den of pirates" raiding their ships.
Before WWII, Calais was a typical medieval walled town. The town walls were surrounded by canals that formed a moat which you can still see today. The Place d'Armes was the main square in the centre - the 13th century watchtower still stands in one corner, from which the lookout would search the horizon for approaching enemies.
Calais is also one of the world's busiest passenger and vehicle ferry ports. Calais is one of the world's busiest passenger and vehicle ferry ports. Today's giant car ferries are too big to come into the inner harbor, so new berths were constructed in the fifties, in land reclaimed from the sea and the sand dunes.
The ferry service in Dover was fist rate. We took the P&O ferry across to Calais and it was first rate. Once we arrived... more travel advice
Just one year after the opening of the Richelieu Garden, the Parc Saint-Pierre was opened in 1863 under the Second... more travel advice
smschley's Related Pages
Nord-Pas-de-Calais Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Calais, link to the UK"
- "The North of France"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nord-Pas-de-Calais
- Hotels in Nord-Pas-de-Calais
- Transportation in Nord-Pas-de-Calais
- Nightlife in Nord-Pas-de-Calais
- Restaurants in Nord-Pas-de-Calais
- Shopping in Nord-Pas-de-Calais
- Warnings and Dangers in Nord-Pas-de-Calais
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nord-Pas-de-Calais
- 8 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Nord-Pas-de-Calais?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Photos in Nord-Pas-de-CalaisSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chernivtsi Intro, 32 reviews, 136 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 34 reviews, 115 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lviv Intro, 25 reviews, 89 photos, 2 travelogues
- San Francisco Intro, 36 reviews, 57 photos
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 46 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos
- Canterbury Intro, 14 reviews, 43 photos
- Washington D.C. Intro, 25 reviews, 26 photos
- Philadelphia Intro, 10 reviews, 40 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sevilla Intro, 8 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues