"Taipei" Taipei by dennisKL

Taipei Travel Guide: 1,398 reviews and 3,810 photos

Get around the Taipei

It was a wonderfull city. I spent 5D 4N in Taipei. My impression when I reach the airport is that peoples are very friendly and warm. The air is fresh.

For you to get around the Taipei, MRT is the right choice. Its fast and convenient. One you reach at the airport, you may want to get a transport. What I suggest is to take a bus at the airport ticket counter. The bus company is named 'EVA' in green logo and a NTD135 is enough for you to reach the Taipei main Station. From here you may get to your destination by traveling MRT. Its also a main MRT exchange for taipei route. Else you will need about NTD1200 for a Cab. Other major destination will passthru by airport bus transport will be along ChungXiao E Road. For those who stay accomodation in this road, make sure you mention to the cab's driver which sec. in ChungXiao E Road or else the driver may not know the hotel you mention. My situation is just like I mention, I was staying at sec3. Is very convenient. The MRT station is just right infront of my hotel I stay. Distance is just a 10-walking step.
This is my 1st trip!

Some of the tourist spot you may consider like CKS Memorial Hall, Taipei 101 Finance Tower(world highest building), Grant Hotel, Beitou Hot Spring and Danshui. All this destination can be reach by taking the Taipei Metro MRT and just in walking distance. The fare are between NTD20-55.

For those who like shopping:- Living World, NewYorkNewYork, Taipei Main Station Subway, or along ChungXiao E Road can consider(Sogo are around the corner of this road).

Oops...forget to share a point. If you are looking for the nearest MRT station around, just mention 'JieYun' (the name of the MRT Company in Mandarin) because some of them might not understand MRT or train.
Mandarin is widely spoke as its the national language. I get some misunderstanding even i spoke mandarin because is abit different from what I spoke in my home country. Anyway I still manage to communicate with them...

Night Market

Spending 1 or 2 nights to explore Taipei night market. Just walk along the market and you can simply fill up your stomach. The major famous night market are Ximen (major branded products), GuanZhou Market (major cd and dvd store can get offer here). From here just walk towards the market about 100m and you will come along a T junction. Thats the Huaxi Night Market. foot massage is famous here. 40mins massage is cost about NTD400. Spent another night to Taipei largest night market called "Shilin". If you are taking MRT, do stop at the 'JianDan' Station that just before the 'Shilin' Station. If you stop at 'Shilin Station', you will need to walk quite a distance because you are come to the end of the market. Do remember.
Else you may spent sometimes to visit the chinese temple like Longshan Temple that near the GuanZhou night market.

One of the famous food you have to taste is the Taiwan's Steamboat. Just mention 'Malak' Soup. See how well you can challenge the hot and spicy soup in Taipei. I do take it and its taste nice!!!How bout you? Most of the food is more towards Korean and Japanese taste.

June05-Shopping at New York New York

Is still the same like previous year. The only different is the banner of Samsung.:)

• Pros:Peoples are friendly. Easy to get around.
  • Cons:Communication problems for those who cannot speak Mandarin.
  • Last visit to Taipei: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 4, 2005

• Sep 25, 2007 at 8:38 PM

What is the name of the Mall?

• imstress's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2005 at 6:19 PM

I wish to revisit taipei again! thanks for sharing with us.

• THLIN's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2005 at 10:16 AM

Wow...Nice page. Glad that you like my city!! Come back again and discover more about my island!!

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2004 at 6:47 PM

I wanna go too! :-)

• Jul 26, 2004 at 2:38 AM

LOVE IT... the 101 Tower - My friend is stressed out shopping here LOL - TOO BUSY she tells me. I will visit the 'dog cafes' with her also when I visit Taiwan. Gr8 tips and pix. Thanks 4 sharing Dennis. Hazel :-)

• dmirebella's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2004 at 6:03 PM

Dennis - interesting tips you covered in Taipei. Its def a forgotten area for visit dont you agree?

• o00o's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2004 at 10:16 PM

my grand parent was American Tawainese..

dennisKL