"MEDAN, LAKE TOBA" Medan by and_juana
Medan Travel Guide: 258 reviews and 598 photos
Medan capital to North Sumatra, is the fourth largest city in Indonesia, a frantic , noisy industrial giant with few obvious charms. It has a population of 2.5 million. Modern Medan has retained many architectural gems from colonial days, of which rocco, art-deco and art nouveau styles were especially popular.
Mejid Raya, located at the southern end of Medan is built in rococo style in 1906. Constructed by an Italian architect in 1888, it is the largest mosqur in the city. Inside are memorabilia such as Dutch furniture, lamps, portraits and old weaponary
A cool hill town, Brastagi is a good base from which to explore Karo Batak villages, climb volcanoes or sample jungle trekking in Gunung Leuser National Park. The park is one of the largest national park in Asia. It cover more than 7750 sq km and protect many and different kind of inclusing various spieces of birds.
Lake Toba is the largest freshwater lake in Southeast Asia and one of the deepest in the world. It was formed by a monumental volcanic eruption. Its one of the highest (900m) and deepest (450m) lake on earth. Enclosed by pine-covered mountains slopes & cliffs, the climate is cool but not baring and sometimes rainy but rarely saturated.
Samosir Island is a good experience. A 1,000 sq km island that floats near the centre of the lake. Boats depart daily to Samosir taking dozens of visitors to the Batak's traditional villages.
Ambarita is one of the traditional village where there are three megalithic complexes with stone seats and tables, including the flat stone slab upon which prisoners were killed.
- Pros:Dramatically beautiful!
- Cons:Shopping? You could get more than half of the price you pay initially pay in some area!
- In a nutshell:~Extreme Beautiful Scenic~
Lively and exciting dance and music performances are held here every Saturday night for a modest entrance fee;... more travel advice
Lake Toba is approximately 3 hours by road from Medan there is a frequent bus service that runs from Medan to Lake Toba... more travel advice
and_juana's Related Pages
Medan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medan - "The Penang of Indonesia""
- "The Sultan's palace, a mosque & a lot more"
- "MEDAN - LAND OF DELI"
- "Unexpecting Medan"
- "medan... HOmes the tastieeeeeest asian cuisine!"
- "Medan, more of a nature"
- "Thunder City of Indonesia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Medan
- Hotels in Medan
- Transportation in Medan
- Nightlife in Medan
- Restaurants in Medan
- Shopping in Medan
- Warnings and Dangers in Medan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Medan
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Medan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Medan
Top 5 Pages
- Medan Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sepang Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos, 1 travelogue