"Golubac - mystical town on Danube" Golubac by SrdjanJovanovic
Golubac Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 12 photos
Golubac is a small town on the Danube northeast of Serbia, about 130 km away from Belgrade. You can come by following the highway to Pozarevac via Veliko Gradiste. Its location is exceptionally interesting because the Danube is here the widest (about 3 km). It‘s look like the sea.
Well there are not precise evidence when the fortress was built but the first written confirmation of the name Golubac was found in 1335. It’s built on a cliff at the entrance of the Djerdap gorge. It was under rule of Serbs, Turks and Hungarians. The ruler Stefan Lazarevc governed the town.
The fortress has 9 towers, each 25 m high, dominated by the Hat tower (Sesir kula).
Legend about name
There are several legends about the origin of the name. One of them says that the fortress was named after the towers on a cliff which look like pigeons. Yet another one says that the name originates from the pigeons kept in the tower by the Byzantine princess Jelena. The fortress is considered to be one of the best preserved sites from the Middle ages which shouldn’t missed by a visitor.
There is one story about capturing old count Dracula here for several years, but I dont knoe details.When I find them out, you will read them
SrdjanJovanovic's Related Pages
Golubac Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Golubac
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Golubac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Golubac
Top 10 Pages
- Belgrade Intro, 13 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuernavaca Intro, 6 reviews, 8 photos
- México Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Valle de Bravo Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Cruz de Tenerife Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Toluca Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Isla de Lanzarote Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Huelva Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Metepec Intro, 1 review, 3 photos
- Kopaonik Intro, 1 review, 2 photos