"Cherbourg-Caen coast" Carentan by denise16
Carentan Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 39 photos
For many year we have docked at Caen, rolled off the ferry and headed off to Brittany never giving the Caen area a 2nd glance. Then we decided to spend a week there, Sept. 2008.
We had a delightful little pink cottage, once the village bakehouse in Houesville. A little village just off the E46 the main road between Normandy ports of Cherbourg & Caen. Just down the road is the WWII museum at dead man's corner, which looks at the US airmen's story of the D Day landings.
Little further on is the pretty town of Carentan.
Approx. 5miles east of our cottage is the magnificent Utah beach, one of the most famous of the D Day landings. The roads around the coast have been re-named after fallen US soldiers, and every kilometre is marked all the way to Paris.
Going north towards Cherbourg is Sainte-Marie Eglise, famous from the film the Longest Day, but the actual site of more Airmen liberating France, and Paratrooper John Steele becoming entangled by his parachute to the church tower. This is still celebrated each year with a mock-up paratrooper hanging from the tower.
Inside the Church at St. Mere Eglise is a beautiful window to commemorate the liberation of the town, by US airmen.
- Pros:The history, the people, the beaches & cider
Situated on the north coast a real gem to visit. beautiful beach and pleasant little town. At the back of beach under... more travel advice
Bayeux is best know for the cathedral and the tapestry and both worthy of a couple of hours. Lying on the South West... more travel advice
denise16's Related Pages
Carentan Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Carentan
- 7 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Carentan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carentan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zante Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Carentan Intro, 7 reviews, 30 photos
- Venice Intro, 3 reviews, 32 photos, 5 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 7 reviews, 25 photos, 3 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 3 reviews, 27 photos, 7 travelogues
- Baveno Intro, 6 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coventry Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Perpignan Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sedbergh Intro, 7 reviews, 20 photos
- Derbyshire Intro, 24 photos, 3 travelogues