"Alibag" Alibag by bradbeaman
Alibag Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 46 photos
best beach in Alibag is Murud-Jajira
Kanhoji Angre info and picture from:
Kanhoji Angre or Conajee Angria or Sarkhel Angre :
(16?? to June 4, 1729) was the first notable chief of the Maratha Navy in 18th century India. He fought successfully all his life against the British, Dutch and Portuguese naval interests in the Indian Ocean during the eighteenth century, and hence was alleged by them to be a pirate. Similar work was carried out against the colonial powers by the Kunjali Marakkars in the sixteenth century. Despite the attempts of the British and Portuguese to subdue Angre, he remained undefeated until his death.
v Origins :
Born in the town of Alibag, little is known about his early life except that he was involved in daring exploits at sea and that his father was Tanoji Angre, a commander under Maratha Chhatrapati (King) Shivaji. He spent much of his childhood in the fort at Suvarnadurg Fort, of which he would later become governor.
He was originally appointed as Darya-Saranga by the chief of Satara in 1698 . Under that authority, he was master of the Western coast of India from Bombay (now Mumbai) to Vingoria (now Vengurla) in present day state of Maharashtra, except for the property of the Muslim Siddis of Janjira who were affiliated with the powerful Mughal empire.
The Sanman Beach Resort is located adjacent to Alibag Town at village Varsoli & Akshi, both famous for its lonely beach and palm tree farms - locally called as 'Wadi'. The villages also famous for fresh fish.
During low tide you have two options to get to the Fort, one is walking which is very doable, I did it with a six year... more travel advice
bradbeaman's Related Pages
Alibag Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Getaway by the beach...."
- "Mini Goa Near Mumbai"
- "Road Trip to Alibag on Avenger"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alibag
- Hotels in Alibag
- Transportation in Alibag
- Restaurants in Alibag
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alibag
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Alibag?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alibag
Photos in AlibagSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangalore Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pune Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos
- Bhopal Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Leh Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- India Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mumbai Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Ahmadabad Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue