"Where Rivers meet" Allahabad by bradbeaman
Allahabad Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 274 photos
The Sangam (joining) of the Yamuna and the Ganges River is one of the holiest sites in Hinduism. This is also the site where the mythical Saraswati River joins.
Every 12 years the Sangam in Allahabad is the site of the Kumba Mela. In 2001, there was a special Kumbha called the Maha Kumbha Mela considered the largest religous gathering attended by 75 million people.
Just behind the boat you can see the line of color contrast of the Ganges and Yamuna. They join in Allahabad and flow toward Varanasi.
The Allahabad Fort built in 1583 is at the Sangam where the Ganges and Yamuna rivers meet and the mythical Saraswati river joins.
It was Akbar the Great who gave Allahabad its name (the city of God).
bradbeaman's Related Pages
Allahabad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kumbh Mela 2013"
- "Allahabad - Home of the sacred Sangam"
- "Prayag --- Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswathi meet here!"
- "Where Rivers meet"
- "Pictures of Allahabad"
- "The land of confluence of three rivers"
- "Sangam, Allahabad"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Allahabad
- Hotels in Allahabad
- Transportation in Allahabad
- Restaurants in Allahabad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Allahabad
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Allahabad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Allahabad
Photos in AllahabadSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangalore Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pune Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 19 reviews, 24 photos
- Bhopal Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Leh Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- India Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mumbai Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Ahmadabad Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue