"City of Lakes" Bhopal by bradbeaman
Bhopal Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 43 photos
If you visit Bhopal you will see the Upper and Lower lakes. The Upper lake has a boat club and the Raja Bhoj statue. There are recreational boaters, Temple bathing and village fishermen all using the lake.
Bhopal is the capital of Madhya Pradesh and known at the "city of Lakes"
Founded by Raja Bhoj who dammed the river one thousand years ago and formed the lakes that make Bhopal famous today. Bhopal was later ruled Mughals and then by Dost Mohammed and then by the Begums or the queens through the 19th and early 20th centuries.
Raja Bhoj the Paramara King who ruled Malwal 1010-1055. King Bhoj established Bhojpal the present day Bhopal.
Another major figure of Bhopal history was Dost Mohammed Khan(1708 -1740) He fled to Bhopal from Delhi following Aurangzeb's death where he met the Gond queen Kamlapati.
The 11th century Bhoj temple. There is an interpretation centre that gives the history of the Raj Bhoj empire. There... more travel advice
You have these 6 choices. Shahnama La Kuchina Under The Mango Tree Tattenham Corner Shergar Cafechino We went for... more travel advice
bradbeaman's Related Pages
Bhopal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Lakes"
- "Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh"
- "Pictures of Bhopal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bhopal
- Hotels in Bhopal
- Restaurants in Bhopal
- Warnings and Dangers in Bhopal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bhopal
- 17 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Bhopal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bhopal
Top 10 Pages
- Bangalore Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pune Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos
- Bhopal Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Leh Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- India Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos