"Pune" Top 5 Page for this destination Pune by bradbeaman
Pune Travel Guide: 199 reviews and 307 photos
Pune is situated along the Sahyadri Mountains home to Shivaji's most impressive forts.
Mahadji Shinde Chatri is around the corner from Sacred Heart town in Wanowrie. The construction began in 1830 and finished in 1910. This was built in memory of the Marathi warrior Mahadji Shinde who was military general between 1760 and 1780.
Pune is located at the joining of two rivers Mula and Mutha. Pune's name seems to comes from being located at the sangam. Earlier known as Punawadi (living by the river). The Sangam is a "Punya Vishaya (auspicious region).
With an elevation of 560 meters (1837 feet), Pune is known for a good climate (except April and May are blistering hot) and the highest differential temperatures with pleasant evenings and mornings even on the hot days.
Areas of Pune
Central – Laxmi Road
Shaniwar Wada Palace
Mahatma Phule Mandai
Taljai forest area
Deccan – JM Road
Kalyani – Nagar Road/Lohegaon
Aga Khan Palace
Aund- Banner Road/Pimpri/Khadki/Kothrud- Paud Road
Oxford Golf Club
Mahadji Shinde Chatri
Vintage Car Museum
Hadapsar- Solapur Road
Koregoan Park- Bund Garden
Places to eat
231 Places to eat in Pune
Known at the "Oxford of the East" There are 250,000 University students at Pune and that is just the Sophmore class! Besides a University culture with students from 70 countries Pune also is the centre of Marathi culture.
Pune is close to Mumbai and Pune is itself the 8th largest city in India.
- Pros:Highest differential temperatures in India (cool mornings and evenings)
- Cons:April and May are blistering hot
Vishrambaag Wada was built in 1807 and was the home of Bajirao II the last Peshwa of the Maratha Empire. This structure... more travel advice
bradbeaman's Related Pages
Pune Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CLINGING TO A FEELING CALLED HOME..."
- "my college"
- "My Second Home - PUNE - State of Maharashtra"
- "live here for the time being"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pune
- Hotels in Pune
- Transportation in Pune
- Nightlife in Pune
- Restaurants in Pune
- Shopping in Pune
- Warnings and Dangers in Pune
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pune
- 33 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Pune?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pune
Videos in PuneSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Bangalore Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pune Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos
- Bhopal Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Leh Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- India Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 14 reviews, 17 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos