"Vellore" Vellore by bradbeaman
Vellore Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 31 photos
The Jalagandeeswarar Temple inside the Vellore Fort.
Christian Medical Hospital in Vellore is a 2,100 bed hospital.
The hospital was founded by the famous American Doctor Ida Scudder . She founded a one bed clinic in Vellore in 1900.
Christian Medical College Vellore Web site
The Vellore fort built in the 16th century during the reign of the Vijayanagar king Krishnadeva Raja.
The fort was captured in the 17th century by the Adi Shahis, the Muslim rulers from Bijapur. It was then taken by the Marathas, and later taken by Daud Khan of Delhi in the early 18th century.
The British took control of this fort in 1768 and controlled it until Independence. The Vellore fort was described as the strongest fortress in the Carnatic War (the war in the Indian Deccan between the French and English 1746-48).
After the British killed Tipu Sultan they imprisoned Tipu’s son and daughter in this fort.
bradbeaman's Related Pages
Vellore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "land of spears"
- "Yelagiri tirupattur"
- "Vellore - Tamil Nadu"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vellore
- Hotels in Vellore
- Transportation in Vellore
- Restaurants in Vellore
- Warnings and Dangers in Vellore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vellore
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Vellore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vellore
Top 10 Pages
- Bangalore Intro, 37 reviews, 61 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pune Intro, 33 reviews, 43 photos
- Bhopal Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos
- Leh Intro, 13 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- India Intro, 9 reviews, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mumbai Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Jaipur Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Ahmadabad Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue