"Andaman and Nicobar Islands" Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands by dsantosh
Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Travel Guide: 237 reviews and 838 photos
Location: Bay of Bengal 92 degree to 94 degree. Longitude: 6 degree to 14 degree North Latitude
AREA: Andamans District: 6,408 Sq.Kms on 139 islands
Nicobars District : 1,841 Sq. Kms.
Total Area: 8,249 Sq. Kms.
CAPITAL: Port Blair
DISTANCE: 1255 Kms. from Calcutta
1190 Kms. from Chennai
1200 Kms. from Vishakhapatnam
ALTITUDE: Varies from sea level to 732 meters
HIGHEST PEAK: Saddle Peak - 732 metros
CLIMATE: Tropical throughout the year with mean minimum temperature at 23 deg. C and maximum at 31 deg.C. Humidity is relatively high - 70 to 90% with a gentle breeze blowing all the time. The weather is generally pleasant with average annual rainfall at 3,000 mm at Port Blair (May to mid-Sept. & Nov. to Jan.)
Forest area 86%
Best Season: October to May
Clothing : Cottons throughout the year
Telephone Code: ++91-3192 (STD 03192)
Languages-Hindi,Bengali,Tamil, Telugu and tribal languages
Jet Airwys and Indian airlines operate (alliance air )to the island.
Passenger ship services are available to Port Blair from Chennai, Kolkatta (Calcutta) and Visakhapatnam and back. The voyage takes about three days and the ship normally berth at Port Blair for about two days.
The ship is operated by: Shipping Corporation of India Ltd
All foreign nationals can stay in the islands for 30 days. This can be extended by another 15 days with permission. The required permit can be easily obtained free of cost from the Immigration counter at Port Blair Airport or Harbour upon arrival on production of their passports containing a valid Indian Visa.
The places covered by this permit for night halt are: South Andaman Island, Middle Andaman Island and Little Andaman Island (except tribal reserve), Neil Island, Havelock Island, Long Island, Diglipur, & Baratang.
Indian nationals need no permit to visit Andamans. However, permits are required to visit Nicobar Islands and other tribal areas, which are given in exceptional cases. Application on a prescribed form may be addressed to the Deputy Commissioner, Andaman District, Port Blair.
Though situated in the tropics, the islands have a pleasant temperate climate, due to the sea breeze blowing in continuously. The best time to visit these islands, is between November and May.
Resident Commissioner in Delhi
12, Chanakyapuri, Behind Telephone Exchange
New Delhi - 110021
- Pros:Exciting place
- Cons:Do not violate Government of India regulations
- In a nutshell:Superb holidaying
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/printedition/160104/detFRO04.shtml more travel advice
MG Marine National Park, Wandoor (Bus) Wandoor-Red Skin (Boat) Wandoor-Jolly Buoy (Boat) Wandoor Beach (Via Sipighat... more travel advice
- See All Snorkeling at Andamans
- See All Transport to Anadamans
- See All Govermnet contacts for the permissions...
- See All donts Continued
Written Jan 20, 2004
The Great Andaman & Nocobar Islands
Written Jan 22, 2004
dsantosh's Related Pages
Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Andaman & Nicober Island: A Paradise on Earth!!"
- "Andaman and Nicobar Islands"
- "Andaman Islands - Havelock"
- "THE PLACE THAT TIME (AND TOURISTS) FORGOT..."
- "EMERALD ISLANDS"
- "The Andaman Islands"
- "Paradise in Bay of Bengal..and... Indian Ocean..!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Hotels in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Transportation in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Restaurants in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Shopping in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- 32 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Posted in Travel New Delhi Forum "RE: Chartering a flight"
- Wrote a Review India in the global net work in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Nightlife
- Uploaded a Photo to "India in the global net work"
- created a Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Travelogue "Andamans"
- Commented on one of TRC123's Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands travel pages
Photos in Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar IslandsSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 32 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- India 28 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munnar 25 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thiruvananthapuram 25 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Lakshadweep Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Middle East Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- State of Andhra Pradesh Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Bangalore Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Delhi 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Kodaikanal Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos