"Andhra Pardesh" State of Andhra Pradesh by dsantosh
State of Andhra Pradesh Travel Guide: 412 reviews and 785 photos
Location: On The Deccan Plateau And Musi River.
Hydearabd is famous for bangles, minarets, Pearl & Cuisine
Recently Called: Second Silicon Valley In India. This has a history of 400-years.
Interesting Places to visit
Charminar, Golconda, Falaknuma
Qutub Tombs, Raymond Tomb
Salarjung Museum,Taramati Tomb
Places Of Worship
Birla Mandir,Mecca Masjid,Moula Ali Darga,St. Josephs Cathedral, Jamma Masjid, Sanghi Temple
Temples in Andhra Pradesh
Hussain Sagar (Tank Bund/Buddha Statue)
Gandipet / Osman Sagar
Nehru Zoological Park
Fun & Frolic
Ramoji Film City
The, Charminar stands within the four arches of the Charkaman. It is said that Sultan Quli knelt at a crossroads and prayed to the gods when a terrible pestilence swept his kingdom. After it subsided he decide to build a structure at the very spot as thanksgiving to the gods. The structure built in 1591 was the Charminar. Often referred to as the 'Arc of the Triumph' of the East, the Charminar comprises four graceful minarets with its central structure soaring to a height of 180 feet. Centuries old bazaars surrounding the monument throb with the hectic trading of pearls, lac bangles and other accessories fit for a bride.
Constructed by the Kakatiya kings in the year 1140, Golconda was expanded by the Qutub Shahi kings into a massive fort of granite with walls and ramparts extending to a length of 5km in circumference. From this fort they ruled the nearby areas even when their capital was based in Warangal. This massive fort is 11 km in perimeter and its walls are 15 to 18 ft high. The whole fort is built in granite and is flanked by 70 ramparts and 8 huge gates. Previously the whole fort was surrounded by a deep gorge but slowly this was filled up. While entering from the main gate of the fort, if one claps below the Grand Portico, echoes are heard in a Darbar hall some 128 meters away.
The fortress city within the walls was famous for the diamond trade and is said to been the origin of the famous Koh-i-noor diamond. The historic fort lies 11kms west of the city of Hyderabad. The name originates from the Telugu words "Golla" meaning Shepard and "Konda" or hill - The 'shepherd's hill'. The fort was later taken over by the Bahamani kings, subsequently passing into the hands of the Qutub Shahis, who held it from 1512 to 1687 AD. The first three Qutub Shahi kings rebuilt Golconda over a span of 62 years.
Famous features of Golconda include it's system of acoustics, palaces, factories, the water supply system. The famous Rahban cannon was used during the last seize of Golconda by Aurangazeb to whom the fort ultimately fell.
- Pros:Nice place to stay with lot of good hotels for every tourist...
- Cons:extremly hot during summer....use only bottled water ( mineral water )
- In a nutshell:Nice and exotic place....
Shopping: CD & Cassettes: Avialble at the temple stores. Handicrafts: The Holy town Tirupati is located in Chittoor... more travel advice
Tirupati town is at the foot of the hill on which is the famous Venkatesha temple. The sacred spot on the hill about... more travel advice
dsantosh's Related Pages
State of Andhra Pradesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Andhra Pardesh"
- "ANDHRA PRADESH"
- "andhra pradesh"
- "Rishi Valley, Chittoor Dist."
- "PUTTAPARTHY- home of BHAGAWAN SHRI SATHYA SAI BABA"
- "Horselly Hills- Andhara OOty"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Hotels in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Transportation in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Nightlife in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Restaurants in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Shopping in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Andhra Pradesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Andhra Pradesh
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to State of Andhra Pradesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Andhra Pradesh
- Posted in Travel New Delhi Forum "RE: Chartering a flight"
- Commented on one of Thumbee's State of Andhra Pradesh travel pages
- Wrote a Review Route Map in State of Andhra Pradesh Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Micellaneous information"
- created a State of Andhra Pradesh Travel Page "Andhra Pardesh"
Photos in State of Andhra PradeshSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands Intro, 32 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- India 28 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Munnar 25 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Thiruvananthapuram 25 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Union Territory of Lakshadweep Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Middle East Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- State of Andhra Pradesh Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Bangalore Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Delhi 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Kodaikanal Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
Top State of Andhra Pradesh hotels