"some interesting stuff in Middlesbrough" Middlesbrough by Tourtech
Middlesbrough Travel Guide: 170 reviews and 416 photos
My wife is from England, and we have relatives up North in the Middlesbrough area. On our trip to the UK in June we went up north and spent some time visiting. Not content to sit around, we did strike out and about to visit a few interesting attractions around the area. Here are a few pictures and stories.
The photo you see is of me at the Hartlepool historic Quay. The ship behind me is the HMS Trincomalee. It is a fully restored 18th century frigate. See more in our things to do file.
This is a transporter Bridge. It is the only one in existence in the world. It is in Middlesbrough, and spans over the River Tees.
A transporter bridge is similar to a small passenger ferry, except that it is a carriage suspended from a very high gantry that spans the river. instead of a large draw bridge or a high span bridge, the carriage moves from side to side with loads of cars, thus leaving the river unempeded to large ocean going ships.
The last of its kind, the steel was produced by the same company and in the same foundry as the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
It s a testament to early 20th century civil engineering and a unique way to cross a large river.
- Pros:Quiet, nice people
- Cons:a bit out of the way....
- In a nutshell:Worth a bit of time to investigate. (as is all of the UK)
Tourtech's Related Pages
Middlesbrough Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Northern England's middle of nowhere"
- "'You're Just A Small Town On Teesside'"
- "Keeweechic's Middlesbrough"
- "It aint just about 'The Boro'!"
- "some interesting stuff in Middlesbrough"
- "Whitby on the North Sea"
- "Middlesbrough: Bridges and Bridges"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Middlesbrough
- Hotels in Middlesbrough
- Transportation in Middlesbrough
- Nightlife in Middlesbrough
- Restaurants in Middlesbrough
- Shopping in Middlesbrough
- Warnings and Dangers in Middlesbrough
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Middlesbrough
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Middlesbrough?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Middlesbrough
Top 10 Pages
- Paphos Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- New York City Intro, 9 reviews, 8 photos
- Cairns Intro, 4 reviews, 9 photos
- Honolulu Intro, 4 reviews, 6 photos
- Australia Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Maui Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Middlesbrough Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- New Zealand Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Byron Bay Intro, 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Cambridge Intro, 3 photos