"When In Rome....." Rome by jono84
Rome Travel Guide: 11,958 reviews and 26,425 photos
I am currently studying a degree in Architecture at Portsmouth, and therefore found the trip fascinating for its vast quantity of historical buildings, as well as art works.
I visited buildings by the greats Bernini (Piazza di Montecitorio obelisk), and Borromini (San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane), as well as the more famous landmarks such as the Collosseum, the Pantheon, the Vatican City, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps etc etc.
I was also very interested to see some frescos and Renaissance ceiling paintings, particularly those by Michaelangelo himself, and was not disappointed by the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican. Some other favourites of mine are shown in the below albums.
Im afraid once the opportunity had reared its head, i could not turn down the chance to see a match in the Stadio Olmpico (Italy's National Stadium).
The stadium also plays host to FC Roma and SS Lazio (the former you will find is vastly more popular amongst Romans!!)
Anyway, the Stadium is awesome and a humbling experience for any british football fan, particularly when you consider the construction site that is the current English National Stadium!
Tickets are fairly cheap and can usually be bought on the turnstile for the games that dont involve rivals AC Milan, Juventus or Roma.
The Italian approach to celebrating is also much more different to English footy, with loud fireworks and flares being let off, and a fierce waving of scarfs above heads takes place!!
By the way, the score finished Lazio 5, Siena 2.
- Pros:Old centre, history, food, Vatican City, Piazza Navona
- Cons:Expensive, dirty especially on the outskirts, long queues for Vatican museums
- In a nutshell:You will need atleast a week to see half of it!
I would strongly suggest your first port of call, as soon as you arrive in Romes city centre, to be to track down a... more travel advice
From an architectural point of view, this building is well-worth a short stop-over, especially if you've just come from... more travel advice
jono84's Related Pages
Rome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "R O M E"
- "TO THE SOURCES OF MY CULTURE AND HISTORY."
- "Roma - Città Eterna"
- "Roma, una citta stupenda"
- "Rome : A Surpise Around Every Corner"
- "Awestruck in Rome"
- "The world's biggest open air museum?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rome
- Hotels in Rome
- Transportation in Rome
- Nightlife in Rome
- Restaurants in Rome
- Shopping in Rome
- Warnings and Dangers in Rome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rome
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Rome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rome
Photos in RomeSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 4 travelogues
- Wanganui Intro, 11 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 9 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 8 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- Florence Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Auckland Intro, 3 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Napier Intro, 7 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubrovnik Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue