"Mt Koya: center of Shingon Buddhism" Top 5 Page for this destination Koyasan by aukahkay
Koyasan Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 134 photos
Mt Koya (Koyasan) is an alpine basin located 1000m above sea level. Surrounded by mountain peaks on all sides, it is 5.5 km by 2.3 km in size. Kukai, known as Kobodaishi through his posthumous honorific name, founded Koyasan as a religious retreat in 816 after returning to Japan from a pilgrimage to Chang'an in China. Kobodaishi started his eternal meditation in the cave of Okunoin in 835 at the age of 62 and there have been reports of apparitions to followers.
Today, there are 117 temples besides 2 monasteries and Okunoin Temple, creating a peaceful and spiritual atmosphere for visitors.
- In a nutshell:Pervasive spiritual atmosphere
The Daishi Hall is a large structure. The Daishi Temple is very important for Daishi believers all over Japan who want... more travel advice
To get to Koyasan, take the Nankai Koya Line from Nankai Namba station in Osaka. For best value, purchase a 2-day... more travel advice
aukahkay's Related Pages
Koyasan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Holy Mount Koya"
- "Mt Koya: center of Shingon Buddhism"
- "Sacred Tourism"
- "The peaceful Kukai's retreat"
- "Two Days of Peace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Koyasan
- Hotels in Koyasan
- Transportation in Koyasan
- Warnings and Dangers in Koyasan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Koyasan
- 10 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Koyasan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Koyasan
Photos in KoyasanSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 34 reviews, 92 photos
- Taipei Intro, 28 reviews, 78 photos
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 67 photos
- Athens Intro, 21 reviews, 59 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 25 reviews, 46 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 29 reviews, 33 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos