"Nagasaki" Top 5 Page for this destination Nagasaki by aukahkay
Nagasaki Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 379 photos
Opened by the Portuguese in 1571, Nagasaki flourished as a busy trading port and center for Christian missionary activities. In 1641, after the adoption of a national ban on Christianity and the expulsion of the Portuguese, the Dutch trading post and Chinese settlement in Nagasaki became Japan's only points of contact with the outside world for more than 200 years. This created Nagasaki into a unique blend of cultures and a liberal atmosphere unheard of in other parts of Japan.
The atomic bomb catastrophe turned a dark page in Nagasaki's turbulent history, but the city is now a center of peace blessed with the beauty of nature and numerous places of historical and cultural interest which still exude the rich flavour of old Nagasaki.
Nagasaki was the setting for Puccini's opera, Madame Butterfly. In Gover Garden, there is a life sized statue of Puccini... more travel advice
Built by the French missionaries in 1864, this building is now a National Treasure and the oldest church in Japan and... more travel advice
aukahkay's Related Pages
Nagasaki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nagasaki, is the most beautiful port town in Japan"
- "Charms of Nagasaki"
- "Nagasaki, Japan"
- "The Beautiful Port City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nagasaki
- Hotels in Nagasaki
- Transportation in Nagasaki
- Nightlife in Nagasaki
- Restaurants in Nagasaki
- Shopping in Nagasaki
- Warnings and Dangers in Nagasaki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nagasaki
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Nagasaki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nagasaki
Photos in NagasakiSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 34 reviews, 92 photos
- Taipei Intro, 28 reviews, 78 photos
- Moscow Intro, 21 reviews, 67 photos
- Athens Intro, 21 reviews, 59 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 25 reviews, 46 photos
- Kyoto Intro, 16 reviews, 50 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 22 reviews, 40 photos, 1 travelogue
- Singapore Intro, 29 reviews, 33 photos
- Hanoi Intro, 18 reviews, 43 photos