"Tribute to 40 years of nation building" Singapore by aukahkay

Singapore Travel Guide: 4,645 reviews and 10,617 photos

Fireworks over Marina Bay

The date was 31 December 2005. The mood was jubilant and elated as Singaporeans thronged the streets in a festive mood to usher in 2006. For me, I had the privilege of cruising down Marina Bay on the Harbour Queen, a 36m privately owned yatch. The Harbour Queen was previously owned by the Port of Singapore Authority and used as a Singapore State craft for taking visiting dignitaries and VVIPs on cruises on the Singapore Harbour. Dignitaries who have been on board include HRH Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh and former President of Singapore, Wee Kim Wee among others.
The Harbour Queen set sail at 7.30 pm gliding gracefully over the waters of the southern islands and making a stop at St John's Island. At 11 pm, the Harbour Queen set sail for Marina Bay where there were other pleasure craft waiting for the magic hour to strike. At the stroke of midnight, a splendid display of fireworks lighted up the night sky over Marina Bay and lasted a good 15 minutes.

• In a nutshell:Asia's melting pot of the East and West
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2006

• May 12, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Thank you for the advice. I haven't traveled in pub transport from S'pore to KL for almost a decade now and going in circles trying to find away ther ewith hubby and 2 little ones who'd make travel hell if done wrongly.

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM

Singlish sounds like our Heblish (Hebrew/Arabic/English/Russian/Yiddish/German) ....you need to be multi-lingual just to begin to understand. Martin

• tess11's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2007 at 5:43 PM

This will shock but I live in Perth and will be visiting Singapore for 3 days for only the second time from Jan 14 to 16. Very much looking forward to this short stay. Tess

• wroclawiak's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Singapore is a place to be. It's on my list too. How do you cope wihtout any chewing gum? I am not a chewing gum fan but I am not able to imagine it.

• Oct 14, 2006 at 11:38 AM

lovely page! Nikos

• Cyncyn's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2006 at 10:05 AM

cool! it 's really attractive to me about this tips. I'll think of going to SG to visit my friend.

• condorito's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2006 at 6:37 AM

Yes, I know that Singapore is a very nice place to visit may be soon, We hope.

• imstress's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2006 at 10:10 PM

I must have some chewing gums b4 I return from overseas trips ;p

• jenaikes's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2006 at 6:44 AM

Thanks for being a friend, Kah Kay! C you again soon : ) btw, the bit abt Newton is so true! Terrible food...except maybe the Prawn noodle next to the Chye Tow Kway...

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2006 at 12:25 AM

Really helpful and interesting tips.:) I did not know about Singlish... I need to visit Singapore as I am always hungry.;)

aukahkay Used To Live Here!

aukahkay

“Travel opens your mind to the world and makes you a global citizen”

Badges & Stats in Singapore

Have you been to Singapore?