"City of Artists and Lanna Architects" Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Rai by Pat_Bangkok
Chiang Rai Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 741 photos
Chiang Rai province is located about 785 km north of Bangkok and it is the northernmost part of Thailand.
It borders Myanmar and Laos People Democratic Republic (PDR). This area is known as the ?Golden Triangle? because in ancient times,
drug trafficking and cannabis production was prevalent here. Now it is merely relegated to a museum.
Golden Triangle area is now becoming a major tourist center of Chiang Rai.
The city is gradually becoming a gateway to China, Myanmar, Laos PDR, Vietnam, and Cambodia. It is collectively called The Greater Maekong Sub-region (GMS).
King Meng Rai, a friend of King Ramkhamhaeng (1279-1299) of the Sukhothai Kingdom of Thailand, established Chiang Rai in 1262 A.D. near the Kok River.
Thirty-four years later, he founded Chiang Mai as a capital city and centre of the Lanna Thai Kingdom (circa 1262-1558 A.D). Thus the two towns have had brotherly relations for a long time. The Lanna Thai Kingdom covered the area of Chiang Mai, Chaing Rai, Phayao,Nan and other provinces in the North of Thailand at present. The kingdom became a Burmese colony from 1558 to 1774 A.D. But finally, King Taksin (1767-1782 A.D.), the king of Siam of the Thonburi period, won it back from the Burmese, and the Lanna Thai Kingdom became a
dependency of Siam (former name of Thailand). And Chiang Rai was ruled as a frontier town until 1933 when it became a province of Siam.
The city of Chiang Rai is about 740 years old. If one were to include the ancient city of Chiang Saen, it would have a combined history totaling over 2000 years old.
The city market where you can find fruits and vetgetable and all fresh foods. more travel advice
Wat Krang Wieng or Temple in the heart of city The city pillar can be founded here. more travel advice
Pat_Bangkok's Related Pages
Chiang Rai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mountains, hilltribes and trekking in Chiang Rai"
- "Chiang Rai"
- "in and around chiang rai"
- "City of Artists and Lanna Architects"
- "Chiang Rai & The far north of Thailand"
- "Chiang Rai"
- "Chiang Rai _ a small pearl"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chiang Rai
- Hotels in Chiang Rai
- Transportation in Chiang Rai
- Nightlife in Chiang Rai
- Restaurants in Chiang Rai
- Shopping in Chiang Rai
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiang Rai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiang Rai
- 8 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Chiang Rai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiang Rai
Photos in Chiang RaiSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Chiang Mai Intro, 17 reviews, 32 photos
- Mae Hong Son Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Lamphun Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiang Rai Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kalasin Intro, 8 reviews, 15 photos
- Bali Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Cambodia Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos
- Chanthaburi Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Malaysia Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos