"Kamloops - A great place to visit, or live!" Top 5 Page for this destination Kamloops by amambaw
Kamloops Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 77 photos
Kamloops is my home town, and I've spent the better part of my life getting to know the areas in and around the city. I will continue to work on updating and adding good tips to this page, but if you are heading to Kamloops, or anywhere in Southern B.C., drop me a line, and I'll try to help you out the best I can!
Kamloops has a very rich history. The city was, for a long time, a trading destination, first for Native Canadians, and then for the British Hudson's Bay Company in the 19th century. After the HBC established a fort in the area, the Thompson Valley (so named for the Thompson Rivers) began to flourish.
Several areas developped all over the valley. Around 1940, several small townships amalgamated to create the City of Kamloops. The result was the most geographically spread out city in BC. Per capita, Kamloops is the largest city in the province. As a result, Kamloops looks smaller than it actually is, as many of its neighbourhoods are spread out and hidden in different parts of the valley.
Kamloops' major employers include Weyerhauser, a saw/pulpmill, the University College of the Cariboo and the Thompson Regional Health Authority (includes our hospital and medical facilities). One of the most active industries in the city is tourism (!). Kamloops is working on improving it's image as an adventure tourism destination, and it is coming along quite well.
Today, Kamloops is an active city working towards improvement. If you plan on visiting, do it. It's a beautiful and charming place, with lots to offer any traveller.
- Pros:Beautiful outdoors, lots of activities, and it's hot!
- Cons:It's hot, and I mean HOT!
- In a nutshell:Come on, with a name like Kamloops, how can you not visit!
There are tons of little cafes where you can chill in the evening in Kamloops. Each has its own distinct feeling. There... more travel advice
The BC Wildlife Park is a pretty fun place to visit. Although it does have animals in captivity (some that I'm not... more travel advice
- Walking/Hiking - Peterson Creek Park
- See All Organic and fresh fare
- See All The other Kamloops Beaches
Written Jul 9, 2005
Canada Day 2005
Written Jul 19, 2005
Summer Weekend at Sunpeaks
amambaw's Related Pages
Kamloops Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kamloops - A great place to visit, or live!"
- "The best city in BC"
- "Overnight kind of City"
- "Kamloops Heritage Railway"
- "Kamloops, the meeting of the waters"
- "Kamloops and the Okanagan Valley"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kamloops
- Hotels in Kamloops
- Transportation in Kamloops
- Nightlife in Kamloops
- Restaurants in Kamloops
- Shopping in Kamloops
- Warnings and Dangers in Kamloops
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kamloops
- 20 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kamloops?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kamloops
Photos in KamloopsSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Busan Intro, 32 reviews, 51 photos, 5 travelogues
- Province of British Columbia Intro, 28 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Beijing Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos, 5 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kamloops Intro, 20 reviews, 25 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 17 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fukuoka Intro, 17 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyongju Intro, 16 reviews, 12 photos
- Puerto Vallarta Intro, 5 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Prince Rupert Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos