"Kamloops - A great place to visit, or live!" Top 5 Page for this destination Kamloops by amambaw

Kamloops Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 77 photos

Kamloops is my home town, and I've spent the better part of my life getting to know the areas in and around the city. I will continue to work on updating and adding good tips to this page, but if you are heading to Kamloops, or anywhere in Southern B.C., drop me a line, and I'll try to help you out the best I can!

Where the rivers meet....

Kamloops has a very rich history. The city was, for a long time, a trading destination, first for Native Canadians, and then for the British Hudson's Bay Company in the 19th century. After the HBC established a fort in the area, the Thompson Valley (so named for the Thompson Rivers) began to flourish.

Several areas developped all over the valley. Around 1940, several small townships amalgamated to create the City of Kamloops. The result was the most geographically spread out city in BC. Per capita, Kamloops is the largest city in the province. As a result, Kamloops looks smaller than it actually is, as many of its neighbourhoods are spread out and hidden in different parts of the valley.

Kamloops' major employers include Weyerhauser, a saw/pulpmill, the University College of the Cariboo and the Thompson Regional Health Authority (includes our hospital and medical facilities). One of the most active industries in the city is tourism (!). Kamloops is working on improving it's image as an adventure tourism destination, and it is coming along quite well.

Today, Kamloops is an active city working towards improvement. If you plan on visiting, do it. It's a beautiful and charming place, with lots to offer any traveller.

• Pros:Beautiful outdoors, lots of activities, and it's hot!
  • Cons:It's hot, and I mean HOT!
  • In a nutshell:Come on, with a name like Kamloops, how can you not visit!
  • Intro Updated Jul 9, 2005

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2005 at 9:39 AM

Thanks for your visit - Yes I will give you a shout if I get back to BC Happy travels

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2005 at 3:36 PM

Kamloops can be hot but Lytton is hotter...I like all the great flyfishing lakes in this area, Lac LeJeune, Pass, Peterhope, Badger and so many more.

• hundwalder's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2005 at 6:32 PM

You have done an outstanding job of selling your hometown. Never heard of it before today. Now I know what a great place it is.

• Apr 6, 2005 at 3:07 AM

Wheres the hockey team ?

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2005 at 2:00 AM

That name is really something. What does it mean?

• Aug 9, 2004 at 6:09 AM

Very nice, detailed tips on Kamloops. I've never been to Kamloops, but if it's one thing I like to do, it's say 'Kamloops' as often as possible. :-)

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2004 at 6:07 PM

Lovely tips on Kamloops. I travelled through Kamloops on my way from Vancouver to Edmonton. Kamloops is small but a beautiful part of the world

amambaw Lives Here!

amambaw

“In order to pass a test, you must first take the test.”

Badges & Stats in Kamloops

Have you been to Kamloops?

Latest Activity in Kamloops