"My first year abroad" Top 5 Page for this destination Busan by amambaw

Busan Travel Guide: 306 reviews and 761 photos

Busan - Korea's Second City

Busan, S.Korea is a rough-edged, noisy city. For someone like me, coming from the land of great open spaces, Canada, S.Korea and especially Busan was a shock to the system.

Busan is a difficult city to love. It has its good points, and its bad. For those who like the beach, hiking or biking, or people-watching, this is a great place to do it. For those who like history, museums and cafe culture, Busan is a bit more challenging. Busan is a great city to live in for its distance to other places, such as Gyongju, Daegu, Ulsan, Jeju, and Japan. Busan has a fun foreigner scene for those who like to party, but not as much for those who are into other things.

After one year...

After one year, I can say without much doubt that...

... Korean food is delicious.
... Korean men's habit of spitting is not.
... typhoons really aren't that bad.
... most Koreans are warm, friendly open people.
... Koreans who aren't warm, friendly or open are real jerks.
... you meet great people while you're living abroad.
... going on the bus in Busan is better than visiting a chiropractor.
... Korean girls are far more fun and relaxing to teach than Korean boys.
... www.engrish.com exemplifies my life on a daily basis.
... I would have not have survived Korea without the help of Jesse and Andrea. Thanks guys!
... although there are many loops in Korea, I am never in them.
... I know more about Canada than I ever learned living at home.
... I've realized that living in a different culture has taught me things that I would never have learned in any book or from any teacher.
... I wouldn't take this year back for anything.

• Pros:Cheap Korean food, friendly people, beautiful sites
  • Cons:Rain, rain, rain; communication can be an issue.
  • In a nutshell:Living here will change your life.
  • Intro Updated Oct 18, 2005

• OzzRod's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. We're planning two days in Busan later this year and you have eased some of our concerns.

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2009 at 2:11 AM

cool page, great to find tips from an expat who lived there. thank you.

• Sep 21, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Usually a chain restaurant called Yoo ga ne (유가내?) sells it in Busan. Dak galbi is the chicken meal with no rice, but you finish around 2/3rds of your meal and then order rice and they put it in with the remaining chicken. Delicious.

• jbowens42's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 5:05 PM

what school did you work for?

• Pixiekatten's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2006 at 4:12 PM

Hey! Like your Busan page. Tips will come ín handy when I go there next summer! Thanks! =)

• akikonomu's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2006 at 12:47 AM

Thanks for your tips - gives me an idea how long I should stay or not stay in Busan

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2005 at 1:57 PM

Loved your local customs = the dog with the red tail is cute!! Good page

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2005 at 1:09 AM

Love the Engrish (and knew that website already). I some some familiar things on your pages. Great country; check my Korean pages too! PJ

• olddude's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2005 at 2:41 PM

I will answer your what to see later, but I disagree about your comment that not many Koreans drink coffee. I lived there for a long time and they drink as much coffee as soju. You can even have it delivered to you office.

• stevezero's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2005 at 3:12 AM

Nice tips on a "different" place. Stayed at Haeundae Beach a few winters back. Wished I had known about VT then, could have seen much more! thanks fro sharing your experiences

amambaw Used To Live Here!

amambaw

“In order to pass a test, you must first take the test.”

Badges & Stats in Busan