"SUWEIDA" As Suwayda' by 1W1V
As Suwayda' Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 51 photos
Located 128 Km southeast of Damascus the city of Suweida is the main city of Suweida governorate. It is quite an important center and has a predominantly Druze and Greek Orthodox community; it is also the seat of a Greek Orthodox bishop.
Not much of the ancient ruins of Suweida are still existing, most were built over and destroyed by the Ottomans and then the French mandate, who built many barracks here to watch closely the Druze community after the 1925 rebellion
The only ruins left are three ancient columns that used to be part of a Nabatean temple and the remains of a large basilica dating back to the 4th century AD
- Pros:Nice museum, ruins parts of the city, not too far from Bosra
- Cons:not in the touristic loop
- In a nutshell:Why not !
1W1V's Related Pages
As Suwayda' Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STRONG ROOTS"
- "Suweida - Dionysias - Suda"
- "My Hometown"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in As Suwayda'
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to As Suwayda'?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in As Suwayda'
Top 10 Pages
- Kathmandu 20 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amman Intro, 50 reviews, 37 photos
- Tibet Intro, 50 reviews, 37 photos
- Petra Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- New York City Intro, 26 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 20 reviews, 38 photos
- Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos