"MADA'IN SALEH" Top 5 Page for this destination Mada'in Salih by 1W1V
Mada'in Salih Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 333 photos
If you can only visit one place in Saudi Arabia, make it Madain Saleh, which rises up from the sands in a landscape of rare beauty. Madain Saleh is home to 131 tombs, 45 of which carry inscriptions in late Aramaic script above the doors. A permit is required but most hotels and tour operators can arrange one if you fax them your details a week in advance.
The Nabataeans, who carved the astonishing city of Petra (in Jordan) chose Madain Saleh as their second city. Although the tombs are less spectacular here than those in Petra, the landscape of sweeping sand and wonderful rock formations is stunningly beautiful. The tombs are also in an excellent state of preservation, due largely to the fact that the local stone is much harder than that found at Petra.
During its prime, it was an important stop on the caravan routes from the incense-producing areas of southern Arabia to Syria, Egypt, Byzantium and other points. The immense stone tombs, which have made it famous, were carved between 100BC and 100AD and the city itself was the second city in the Nabataean Empire, after Petra in modern-day Jordan.
The Nabataeans became rich through their control of the incense route and their charging caravans tolls of up to 25%. They entered a decline in the first century AD when the Romans realized that the incense could be loaded onto ships and taken to Egypt. Less expensive items continued to move along the route and it was never totally abandoned. In Islamic times, the pilgrim route from Damascus to Makkah passed through Madain Salih.
- Pros:Unique in the world
- Cons:Permit, minders
- In a nutshell:This is the place to visit in Saudi Arabia
Once in the workshop, we found the "signature" of an old (now closed) famous belgian railway equipment factory. Belgium... more travel advice
One of the building around was used as a workshop. Inside, we can find a very well preserved steam locomotive (is that... more travel advice
1W1V's Related Pages
Mada'in Salih Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Historical Madain Salih"
- "MADA'IN SALEH"
- "When They Carved their Tombs into Mountains..."
- "Hegra (Mada'in Saleh)"
- "Mada'in Salih"
- "Madain Saleh"
- "Madian Salih"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mada'in Salih
- Hotels in Mada'in Salih
- Transportation in Mada'in Salih
- Shopping in Mada'in Salih
- Warnings and Dangers in Mada'in Salih
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mada'in Salih
- 15 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Mada'in Salih?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mada'in Salih
Photos in Mada'in SalihSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Kathmandu 20 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amman Intro, 50 reviews, 37 photos
- Tibet Intro, 50 reviews, 37 photos
- Petra Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- New York City Intro, 26 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 20 reviews, 38 photos
- Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos