"MINGUN" Mingun by 1W1V
Mingun Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 84 photos
Mingun Temple is to be the largest temple in Myanmar. It was designed to be about 200 feet high, however construction stopped. And the remains are only 90 feet high. This temple was built about 200 years ago by King Bodaw Pharar (1782-1819). It could have been the highest building in Asia during that time.
Closer to the riverbank a littie downstream from the Mingun Pagoda is this five metre (15 feet) high working model for the gigantic structure. It gives a clear picture of just what Bodawpaya intended to achieve
Built by King Bagyidaw in 1816, three years before he succeeded Bodawpaya as king, the pagoda was constructed in memory of his senior wife the Hsinbyume princess. It is built as a representation of the Sulamani Pagoda which, according, to the Buddhist plan of the cosmos, stands atop Mount Meru. The seven wavy terraces around the pagoda represent the seven mountain ranges around Mount Meru. This pagoda was badly damaged in 1838 by a quake but King Mindon restored it in 1874
- Pros:not too far from Mandalay
- Cons:hot in winter and wet in summer !
- In a nutshell:Another must of Myanmar
It is about 11 km upriver from Mandalay on the opposite bank of the Ayeyarwaddy and accessible only by river. The 45 to... more travel advice
1W1V's Related Pages
Mingun Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mingun - A beautiful pile of bricks!"
- "Mingun Burma"
- "Mingun Temple"
- "Pictures of Mingun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mingun
- Transportation in Mingun
- Restaurants in Mingun
- Shopping in Mingun
- Warnings and Dangers in Mingun
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mingun
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Mingun?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mingun
Photos in MingunSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Kathmandu 20 reviews, 72 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amman Intro, 50 reviews, 37 photos
- Tibet Intro, 50 reviews, 37 photos
- Petra Intro, 20 reviews, 64 photos
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 21 reviews, 55 photos
- New York City Intro, 26 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 14 reviews, 50 photos, 2 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 20 reviews, 38 photos
- Burma Intro, 22 reviews, 25 photos
- Singapore Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos