"The Good and Bad of Juarez Mexico" Top 5 Page for this destination Ciudad Juárez by lashr1999
Ciudad Juárez Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 40 photos
The town of Ciudad Juárez is just across the Rio Grande from El Paso Texas. In fact El Paso and Juarez were part of the same town until the 1848 when the treaty of Guadalope Hidalgo split the town in two along the Rio Grande.
One if the best things about heading across the border is that there is some of the best Mexican food there. You will not find that cheap jarred processed guacamole here. The tacos, nachos and mole are a treat to your taste buds. Mariachi bands may play whlie you eat.
Cheap Mexican beer, ‘Cerbeza mexicana’ and places to party are other reasons to visit.
If shopping is your thing there are some bargains to be had. If you are a good bargainer you can get things quite cheaply. Knowledge of Spanish helps, in fact if you are of Spanish descent you will probably get a better price.
It is a place where you can catch Lucha libre or Mexican wrestling! It is too bad they only have shows on Sunday.
There are not many tourist attractions, the city itself is smoggy. Once you travel across the bridge you see many homeless who ask you for money.
It is one of the places where maquiladoras or sweat shops that NAFTA helped to create thrive. At these sites women workers are harassed since they have no protection, some workers have even been murdered. See http://www.motherjones.com/news/mustreads/1999/07/070599.html
It is the site where over 300 Mexican women were killed or have disappeared and the people in charge were slow to act http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/895598023?ltl=1130606425
All in all would I visit it again? The answer would be yes, but I would recommend traveling with friends.
The Cathedral was built in 1945 and had to be rebuilt in 1975 due to a fire. Since 1957 the cathedral has been the seat... more travel advice
While here we headed to an indoor market which had many souvenirs. I tried on a sombrero for fun. What caught my eye was... more travel advice
lashr1999's Related Pages
Ciudad Juárez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Paquime, Mexico"
- "The Good and Bad of Juarez Mexico"
- "Mullets, Thieves and Homeless"
- "Ciudad Juarez"
- "Maquila: Thank/(F***) you NAFTA"
- "Anapra Strawbale Build"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ciudad Juárez
- Hotels in Ciudad Juárez
- Transportation in Ciudad Juárez
- Nightlife in Ciudad Juárez
- Restaurants in Ciudad Juárez
- Warnings and Dangers in Ciudad Juárez
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ciudad Juárez
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Ciudad Juárez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ciudad Juárez
Top 10 Pages
- Nassau Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Egypt Intro, 15 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Columbus Intro, 22 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 1 review, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lima Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos
- Chicago Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (14)
Latest Ciudad Juárez hotel reviews
- Plaza Consulado
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Nov 21, 2011