"Ephesus, Turkry" Ephesus by lashr1999
Ephesus Travel Guide: 508 reviews and 1,922 photos
Ephesus is considered to be one of the greatest outdoor museums in Turkey due to the variety of structures that have been excavated and remain intact. An ancient story tell how the city of Ephesus was founded. The son of the King of Athens, Androklos was looking for a site to build a new settlement. He consulted the Oracle of Apollo who said the new site would be indicated by a fish and a boar. One day when cooking a fish he caught, the fish jumped out of the pan and then the surrounding bush caught fire. Out jumped a boar which Androklos killed. Androklos took this as a sign to build his settlement here. His descendants ruled for 400 years. Ephesus over the centuries was ruled by the Lydians, Persians, Romans and the Goths.
The Gates of Hercules are located at the beginning of Curetes Street. There are two centrally located columns that... more travel advice
Another feature that has to be seen is the Ephesus theater which was built on the slopes of Mount Panayir in the 3rd... more travel advice
lashr1999's Related Pages
Ephesus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE WONDER OF EPHESUS"
- "Ephesus - Ancient city"
- "The Inspiring Roman Ruins of Ephesus"
- "Ephesus the open air Museum"
- "Ephesus (Efes) and Nearby Selcuk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ephesus
- Hotels in Ephesus
- Transportation in Ephesus
- Nightlife in Ephesus
- Restaurants in Ephesus
- Shopping in Ephesus
- Warnings and Dangers in Ephesus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ephesus
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Ephesus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ephesus
Photos in EphesusSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Nassau Intro, 13 reviews, 61 photos, 1 travelogue
- Egypt Intro, 15 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 15 reviews, 55 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Columbus Intro, 22 reviews, 34 photos, 4 travelogues
- Greece Intro, 1 review, 46 photos, 5 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 9 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lima Intro, 10 reviews, 29 photos
- Chicago Intro, 9 reviews, 28 photos