"Turkey - A Mix of Good and Bad" Turkey by His_Beloved
Turkey Travel Guide: 25,473 reviews and 74,282 photos
My work contract in Japan ended on July 28th, so I decided to go home via "the long way" by visiting Turkey and England before flying home to Spokane, WA. Unfortunately, I was only in Turkey for four and a half days; I truly wish I could have stayed longer to explore the beauty of its people, land, history and culture. Turkey is a very beautiful and culturaly rich country.
After arriving in Istanbul, I headed directly to the main Otogar and hopped onto an overnight bus to Selcuk. Arriving early the next morning, I checked into my pension, ate some breakfast, and headed off with a couple of other travelers to see the Ephesus ruins, the museum, the Basilica of St. John, and the final home of the Virgin Mary - phew! Yup, did the whole tour in one day. The next day I just hung around Selcuk, walking around and talking to shop owners. I met lots of wonderful people (and drank about 20 cups of tea). I really had a good time, and found the people there so friendly and helpful.
That night, I jumped back onto a night bus and headed back to Istanbul, arriving at Sultanahmet about 10:30 AM. After unloading my stuff at my guesthouse, I headed off to explore. The best thing about Istanbul is you can spend a week exploring one area without ever taking a bus or tram to another part of the city. During the two days I was there, I was able to see the Topkapi Palace, Aya Sofya (Church of Divine Wisdom), the Basilica Cistern, the Blue Mosque, the Grand Bazaar, and several other things.
- Cons:Single female travelers will likely be harassed in larger cities like Instanbul.
I accidentally stumbled accross this when I was in Sultanahmet, but I was really glad I did, because it was one of the... more travel advice
It's not often that I recommend a shop, but after spending hours talking to this shop's owner (over Turkish tea), I have... more travel advice
His_Beloved's Related Pages
Turkey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Turkey - a travell from east to west"
- "DID YOU KNOW THAT ?"
- "My Turkey - real and virtual"
- "Turkey's Magnificent Riviera"
- "Travels in Turkey"
- "Turkey: Spans Both Europe and Asia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Turkey
- Hotels in Turkey
- Transportation in Turkey
- Nightlife in Turkey
- Restaurants in Turkey
- Shopping in Turkey
- Warnings and Dangers in Turkey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Turkey
- 7 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Turkey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turkey
Top 10 Pages
- Japan Intro, 15 reviews, 9 photos, 3 travelogues
- Kyrgyzstan Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karakol Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos
- England Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Turkey Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Okinawa Intro, 5 reviews, 5 photos
- Hokkaido Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Australia Intro, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philippines Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Thailand Intro, 3 photos