"Turkey - A Mix of Good and Bad" Turkey by His_Beloved

Turkey Travel Guide: 24,826 reviews and 71,541 photos

The Long Way Home

My work contract in Japan ended on July 28th, so I decided to go home via "the long way" by visiting Turkey and England before flying home to Spokane, WA. Unfortunately, I was only in Turkey for four and a half days; I truly wish I could have stayed longer to explore the beauty of its people, land, history and culture. Turkey is a very beautiful and culturaly rich country.

Selcuk - the ruins of Ephesus

After arriving in Istanbul, I headed directly to the main Otogar and hopped onto an overnight bus to Selcuk. Arriving early the next morning, I checked into my pension, ate some breakfast, and headed off with a couple of other travelers to see the Ephesus ruins, the museum, the Basilica of St. John, and the final home of the Virgin Mary - phew! Yup, did the whole tour in one day. The next day I just hung around Selcuk, walking around and talking to shop owners. I met lots of wonderful people (and drank about 20 cups of tea). I really had a good time, and found the people there so friendly and helpful.

Back to Istanbul

That night, I jumped back onto a night bus and headed back to Istanbul, arriving at Sultanahmet about 10:30 AM. After unloading my stuff at my guesthouse, I headed off to explore. The best thing about Istanbul is you can spend a week exploring one area without ever taking a bus or tram to another part of the city. During the two days I was there, I was able to see the Topkapi Palace, Aya Sofya (Church of Divine Wisdom), the Basilica Cistern, the Blue Mosque, the Grand Bazaar, and several other things.

• Cons:Single female travelers will likely be harassed in larger cities like Instanbul.
  • Last visit to Turkey: Aug 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 20, 2004

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2005 at 1:06 AM

GREAT PAGES AND PICS. I LIKED UR TURKEY PAGE... BORA

• RUMISABUNCU's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2005 at 12:21 AM

If you visit againTurkey , you should see Antalya (Turkish Riviera). It is not busy like Istanbul. Best travel

• shelnlin's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2004 at 6:14 PM

Great tips here Rhonda...I am sorry to hear that you were harassed a bit. Great thought about the accomodation... ;+)

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2004 at 10:52 PM

Nice tips Rhonda! Sounds like you did a lot during your days in Turkey. Hope you can go back one day as there is so much to see.

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 6:59 PM

A very interesting way to choose a Pension! I just might try your method!!

His_Beloved

“If I was afraid, I would never do anything!”

Badges & Stats in Turkey