"Hearing the call of the wild...." His_Beloved's Profile

From Japan to Kyrgyzstan

Have you ever noticed that sometimes the things in life worth having the most are the most difficult things to wait for? Like the beauty of the Japanese Tea Ceremony, it can only be appreciated after sitting uncomfortably on your knees and losing the feeling in your toes, but the grace and beauty of ceremony remains with you long afterwards, making your patience well worth the effort. Life is like that, there is beauty in everything, even in the hard things, and learning patience in the tea teaches you patience in the wild country.

I'm in........Kyrgyzstan!!

More formally known as the Kyrgyz Republic. I arrived here in mid-September to start 11 weeks of intensive training and will swear-in as an official US Peace Corps volunteer in early December. I came with 66 other American trainees; 50 will be TEFL volunteers and the rest of us will be working on Sustainable and Organizational Development projects throughout the country. Once I complete my training in Russian, technical, and health & safety I will move to Karakol City and work with Community Based Tourism (CBT) in the area to assist in developing the tourist industry and promote eco-friendly tourism that is sustainable. So, when you start planning your trip next year, send me an e-mail for some info and I will be happy to help - or just look for me in the CBT office!

Big Festival in Kyrgyzstan!

In Karkara Valley on August 14th there will be the Festival of Shepherds in the Jailoo (summer pastures). For about $20 you can not only help construct a yurt, but stay the night in one, watch eagle hunting, watch how kumyz is made (fermented mare's milk), view the national horse games, and eat traditional Kyrgyz foods. The cost includes transportation from Karakol to Karkara and back.

Saying Goodbye to Japan

After spending the last two years working in a small, rural village in Japan, I finally had to pack up and say goodbye. But for someone that tends to move across the ocean every one or two years, I have learned the best way to say goodbye is to say "see you later." It's much easier that way - no tears, just a hopeful expectation that you will once again see your friends in the near future. Granted, I can't see myself returning to Japan for at least three years, but hey, at least I know I will have lots of cool friends there waiting for me.

• Intro Updated Jul 8, 2005

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
His_Beloved's Profile Photo

His_Beloved

“If I was afraid, I would never do anything!”

Real Name