"New Brunswick's best kept secret!" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericton by Jefie

Fredericton Travel Guide: 224 reviews and 328 photos

My friend Annie-Claude and I decided the spend the Labour Day weekend in Fredericton. We had both driven quickly through the city - Fredericton is not on most people's itinerary when they travel to the Maritimes - and we wanted to go back because it seemed like there was much to see there. When we told people we were heading down to Fredericton for the long weekend, there generally was a puzzled look on their face - some asked if we had business there, some asked if we were visiting friends or family... no one seemed to think you could just go for fun! Boy, were they wrong!

The capital of New Brunswick is located along the banks of the beautiful St. John River. Back in the 18th century, many Loyalists who fled from the States after the War of Independence established themselves in Fredericton, building gorgeous Victorian and Queen Anne mansions that have been extremely well preserved. Fredericton therefore offers a great mixture of nature, history and architecture, and with a population of less than 50,000, it truly is one of the pleasantest small cities in Canada!

(For more information on things to do in Fredericton, visit the Web site: http://www.tourismfredericton.ca)

• Pros:Beautiful architecture and such friendly people!
  • Cons:Perhaps not the greatest nightlife...
  • In a nutshell:A definite must-see in the Maritimes!
  • Last visit to Fredericton: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 17, 2010

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2010 at 5:23 AM

Sounds like a pleasant and interesting town, with lots of history. And they even have a good bookshop! -- Have a great Christmas in your new house!

• nancynb's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2008 at 7:07 PM

You have really captured a lot of my home town, and in such an engaging manner. Thanks for taking the time, both to visit, and to share with others. We who live here do really appreciate what we have, and LOVE to welcome visitors.

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Another nice canadian city; did you see the big frog?

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 12:48 PM

I really enjoyed reading this excellent account of your weekend in Fredericton! Heck, now I want to go out and try some of those heritage walks myself!! Beautiful photos too.

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Fredericton

Have you been to Fredericton?