"Gateway to Gaspesie" Matane by Jefie

Matane Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 30 photos

Matane is a small town of about 10,000 people and the birthplace of yours truly :o) Yep, I was born and grew up in this charming town located by the St. Lawrence River. It was a wonderful place to grow up, although it does seem more quiet now than it was back when I lived there - and I do hope my leaving the place has nothing to do with it!

Matane is mostly known for its salmon river and for its shrimp industry. In fact, Matane's shrimp festival (Festival de la crevette) used to be one of the biggest festivals in the province of Quebec until they ran out of volunteers to run it and sadly had to cancel the event. But still, because it is located about 4h east of Quebec City and 3h west of Gaspe, Matane is a good place to stop on your "tour de la Gaspesie". You can relax and enjoy a stroll along the river, a delicious seafood meal, and discover all that Matane's nature has to offer!

• Pros:The best place to get shrimp in all of Quebec
  • Cons:Not as interesting if you're allergic to seafood
  • In a nutshell:What a nice way to kick off your "Tour de Gaspesie"
  • Last visit to Matane: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 26, 2009

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Nice tips about the town where you were born and grew up.

• Jefie's Profile Photo
      Jun 3, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Thanks Don! I drove through Matane yesterday, it looks like it's getting bigger. I should go back at some point and visit some of the restaurants and sites :-)

• Feb 7, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Isa, this little town is an outdoorman's paradise!!! I can't believe it took me this long to find it. I specifically enjoyed reading about all the water activities the town has to offer.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2009 at 5:54 AM

Isa, there is so much snow in your photos, it must be a very cold place, no wonder you moved to Quebec.

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2009 at 4:52 AM

Thank you for your kind comment on my Ypres tips. It's also a nice place just to have lunch on the market. When I read about the crevettes festival of Matane I think I missed a good place in the world! Are they small or big shrimps?

• CesVT's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2009 at 4:06 AM

Ton père et Denise sont renversants, bien qu'ici pas "renversés", eh eh!! ;o) Super de revoir ces moments! Et quel beau petit rire j'ai, mouaha!! ;o)

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Great music video video, Isa! Very neat--it's like being in someone's living room. Well done!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Lovely place and the Summer Villas at Metis Beach looks stunning. Thanks for the lovely tour!

• Dester's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I really think this is one of your best pages Isa. You have made Matane a destination.

• Joseph69's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 7:54 PM

A nice and relaxing view of Matane! Thanks for sharing it with us. If I ever can go, I will keep in mind the B&B La Seigneurie. Regards, Joe.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2006 at 8:45 AM

A very enjoyable overview of your hometown of Matane! It looks like a great little spot to include when I finally do my 'around the tip of Gaspe' trip!

Jefie Was Born Here!

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Matane