"Canada's Capital City!" Ottawa by Jefie
Ottawa Travel Guide: 1,831 reviews and 4,556 photos
From the get-go I must admit that of all my travel pages, this is probably the one that least reflects how much I actually enjoy spending time in this city. As a federal government employee, I get the opportunity to travel to Ottawa at least once a year and each time I really look forward to it. Canada's capital is a charming, relatively quiet city that offers visitors an interesting blend of history, arts, nature and culture. There are several museums located in the Ottawa region, and with over 30 festivals going on throughout the year, there's always something fun to do around town. The main problem for me is that since I usually go there for work, I always seem to forget to document my trips, no matter how much fun they are. I'll try to update this page as often as I can, but here's the most important piece of advice I can give my fellow VTers: if you're planning a trip to Eastern Canada, do add Ottawa to your list of places to see!
Back in 1857, when Queen Victoria was asked to pick the capital of Canada, she chose Ottawa although she'd never been there herself. At the time, the little city of "Bytown" didn't have much to offer - in fact, it was a rather rough little town, mostly populated by loggers and Irish immigrants. However, the Queen's advisors liked how it was located about halfway between Quebec City and Toronto, two of the country's most important colonies at the time, and felt it could help unite Lower (French) and Upper (English) Canada. To a certain extent, one could say that it worked since the area we now call "National Capital Region" includes both Ottawa and the city of Gatineau, located on the other side of the Ottawa River in the province of Quebec.
Perhaps I haven't been lucky, but all the hotels I've stayed at in Ottawa were only so-so... until I stayed at the Lord... more travel advice
This hotel has clearly seen better days, so the rooms and furniture are all slightly outdated. However, if you happen to... more travel advice
Jefie's Related Pages
Ottawa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CANADA - OTTAWA"
- "My Home town.....a work in progress : o ]"
- "O t t a w a"
- "Definitely A Tale Of Two Cities!!"
- "Ottawa, Ontario! The Canadian Capital!"
- "The capital city of Canada"
- "Birthdays, Elections , Harvesting"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ottawa
- Hotels in Ottawa
- Transportation in Ottawa
- Nightlife in Ottawa
- Restaurants in Ottawa
- Shopping in Ottawa
- Warnings and Dangers in Ottawa
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ottawa
- 20 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Ottawa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ottawa
Photos in OttawaSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos
- Vienna Intro, 69 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 97 reviews, 190 photos
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 61 reviews, 218 photos
- Paris Intro, 71 reviews, 195 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 53 reviews, 188 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 178 photos
- Prague Intro, 53 reviews, 183 photos
- Budapest Intro, 56 reviews, 178 photos