Quebec Off The Beaten Path Tips by Jefie Top 5 Page for this destination
Quebec Off The Beaten Path: 113 reviews and 155 photos
Enjoying the view from the top of Wright Mountain
Wright Mountain is a fun spot for hiking and mountain climbing (for which you need to be an accredited mountain climber), and it's located just 30 km north of Quebec City, in the town of Stoneham. You need a car to get there but access to the site is free, and so is parking. The park's 6.5 km of hiking trails lead through a 300-year-old forest all the way to the top of the mountain at 483 m above sea level. You can choose to go the quick and hard (but fun!) way or you can choose the trail that gently loops around the mountain for an easier climb. The park used to belong to the Wright family who bequeathed it to the town of Stoneham when the last of their descendants passed away in the 1970s. It is now carefully being developped by a forest association who's dedicated to letting people discover the park while making every effort to preserve the mountain's amazing ecology and biodiversity. Wright Mountain also becomes a great spot for snowshoeing in the wintertime :o)
Other Contact: email@example.com
The Kabir Kouba waterfalls in Wendake
Some people who drive up to the Huron-Wendat First Nations village are a bit disappointed to see how "normal" it looks. Although it is possible to visit ONHOÜA CHETEK8E (http://www.huron-wendat.qc.ca/), a traditional Huron site that has been reconstructed for visitors, most First Nations members have adopted a North American lifestyle many, many decades ago. But one of the things that make it worth driving up to Wendake is the Kabir Kouba waterfalls park. "Kabir Kouba" means "River of a thousand bends and curves", and there is a walking/hiking trail that makes it possible to follow the river, starting at the 28 m
high waterfalls. You can choose to walk through the park on your own for free, or if you wish to learn more about the history, geology, flora and fauna of the site, you can go on a 1h15 guided tour for only $5. After you've worked up a bit of an appetite, I highly recommend having lunch or dinner at La Sagamite (http://www.wendake.com/sagamite/), where you'll be able to discover and enjoy authentic native dishes.
The Kabir Kouba Interpretation Centre is located at 14 rue St-Armand, in Wendake (check out the Website for directions).
Other Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pumpkin time on Ile d'Orleans!
L'Ile d'Orleans is a small island located about 20 minutes away from Quebec City, and going for a drive or a bike ride around l'Ile d'Orleans is one of the locals' favorite things to do on a nice sunny day! The island is made up of six small and colorful villages, and although the road that goes around the island is only about 70 km long, you should allow at least half a day to drive around it because you'll most likely want to stop every now and then. Agri-tourism is very popular on the island, and depending on what time of the year you happen to be there, you can pick your own strawberries, raspberries, apples, and so on (my favorite place to go for apple-picking is at Polyculture Plante, http://www.polycultureplante.com).
There are also a few museums located on the island, including the Manoir Mauvide-Genest, dating back to 1734, and the Maison Drouin (http://www.fondationfrancoislamy.org/drouin_house.html), the oldest house on the island. There is also a great chocolate factory, a small cheese factory, a winery, a bakery, some really great restaurants, and numerous arts & crafts shops. Make sure to stop at the Tourist Info Center as you get off the bridge (up the hill, on your right) to get all the information you need and have fun exploring the island!
Other Contact: email@example.com
The people of Quebec remember....
I know there are many fans of French writer Antoine de Saint-Exupery out there, the author of several novels including his most famous one, "Le Petit Prince" (The Little Prince). In 1942, two years before his mysterious death and just a short time before the publication of "Le Petit Prince", Saint-Exupery stayed with the De Koninck family in Quebec City. The house a still a private home and can't be visited, but there is a small plaque near the main entrance indicating that Saint-Exupery stayed there. The house is located on rue Sainte-Genevieve, just a few steps away from the Chateau Frontenac.
Historic houses in the village of Cap-Sante
If you are driving down from Montreal, I would suggest going on Highway 40 until Trois-Rivières, and then get on the Chemin du Roy (Route 138, you'll see blue signs on the Highway). Dating back to New France, it is one of the oldest road in Quebec and it will take you through the Portneuf region and its many picturesque villages. You can stop for lunch at the bistro La Faim du Roy in Deschambault-Grondines (234 Chemin du Roy, 418-286-2468), go for a walk in Cap-Sante... and don't forget to bring your camera!
Tourist Information Center in Vieux Quebec
Tourism is one of the major industries in the city of Quebec and the tourist office is there to make sure they make the most of their stay in the region. You can stop by the info center located at 12 rue Sainte-Anne, in front of the Chateau Frontenac, to get all the information you need - whether you're looking for a map, a guided tour, a restaurant recommendation or if you need help booking a place to stay or want to plan a trip to other regions in the province, the info center staff will give you all that information and more! You can also visit the Website before your trip and order free tour guides of Quebec's 21 tourist regions.
More Reviews (91)
- See All A friendly and delicious snack bar
- See All Plenty of free summer activities!
- See All Capitales de Quebec (baseball)
- See All Quebec City's oldest watering hole
- See All Quebec City's biggest toy store!
Jefie's Related Pages
Quebec Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quebec, mon amour!"
- "Quebec City, Quebec, Canada"
- "Quebec City - A Bit of Europe Close at Hand!"
- "Quebec, the charming French town"
- "Une Petite Tour de La Ville de Quebec...."
- "Quebec City, c'est magnifique!"
- "LA BELLE PROVINCE - QUEBEC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Quebec
- Hotels in Quebec
- Transportation in Quebec
- Nightlife in Quebec
- Restaurants in Quebec
- Shopping in Quebec
- Warnings and Dangers in Quebec
- See All...
Explore the World
- Hilton Head Island Off The Beaten Path
- Majorca Island Off The Beaten Path
- Sopot Off The Beaten Path
- Fulda Off The Beaten Path
- Lisbon Off The Beaten Path
- Barbados Off The Beaten Path
- Lace making
- Minnesota Off The Beaten Path
- Kennebunkport Off The Beaten Path
- Haleji Lake.
- Darjeeling Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Quebec
- 97 Reviews
- 190 Photos
- 101 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Quebec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Quebec
- Posted in Travel Quebec Forum "Re: How is the night life in the..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Plenty of sports and nature at Duchesnay!"
- Wrote a Review A friendly and delicious snack bar in Quebec Restaurants
- Commented on one of Jim_Eliason's Quebec tips
- updated a Quebec Travel Page "Quebec, mon amour!"
- Uploaded a Video to Quebec
Photos in QuebecSee All Photos (190)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 69 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 97 reviews, 190 photos
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 53 reviews, 188 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 178 photos
- Prague Intro, 53 reviews, 183 photos
- Budapest Intro, 56 reviews, 178 photos
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 168 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 66 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 51 reviews, 148 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (40)
Latest Quebec hotel reviews
- Delta Quebec
- 389 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Motel sur la Colline St-Faustin, PQ
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hilton Quebec
- 719 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Palace Royal Hotel
- 182 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Dominion 1912, Hotel
- 482 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Courtyard by Marriott Quebec City
- 533 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
- 1563 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Classique Hotel
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Hovey Manor
- 256 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Gite du Mont-Albert
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Auberge du Tresor
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Hotel Chateau Bellevue
- 257 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- Hotel Royal William
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Alt Quebec
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 5, 2013
- Montmorency Falls- 30 Reviews, 55 Photos
- Place Royale & Le Petit Champlain- 66 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Chateau Frontenac- 36 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Walking around Vieux Quebec- 25 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Vieux Quebec architecture & monuments- 37 Reviews, 46 Photos
- Ste-Anne-de-Beaupre Basilica- 10 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Plains of Abraham (Battlefields Park)- 24 Reviews, 54 Photos
- Terrasse Dufferin- 26 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Notre-Dame Basilica Cathedral- 13 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Citadelle de Quebec- 25 Reviews, 62 Photos
See All Quebec Things to Do