"The City on the Bay of Fundy" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint John by Jefie
Saint John Travel Guide: 113 reviews and 219 photos
In July 2008, I spent a week in Saint John to watch my nephew compete at the National Karate Championships. I had never been to Saint John before so I did try to make the most of every spare moment we had to walk around the city and try to discover a bit of its history.
Although Saint John had been a thriving little town for many decades, what really helped shape the city into what it is today was the arrival of about 14,000 Loyalists, a large group of British colonists who chose to leave the United States after the American Revolution. They came to Saint John apparently determined to create a new "Boston" - they set up a successful shipbuilding industry and developed elaborate urban plans, complete with a public garden and different public squares. Thousands of Irish immigrants also came to Saint John in the 1840s and contributed to turning the city into one of the Maritimes' leading industrial centers. However, the great fire of 1877 - and, in my opinion, the weather - forced some residents to relocate elsewhere in the country and although it is still New Brunswick's most important industrial center, Saint John doesn't exactly have the same kind of charm other Maritimes cities have.
Over the past few years, many efforts have been put into place to revamp the "uptown" part of the city, creating different historic walking tours, cleaning up the buildings, and making sure there are always plenty of activities going on around the harbour. They've been successful for the most part - although you don't have to walk too far to see some pretty run-down streets, there's enough to keep you busy for a day or two in the city, especially if you happen to be there during some of the rare fog-free days. So although I wouldn't necessarily pick Saint John as my next summer vacations spot, I did bring back plenty of good memories from my trip which I'll do my best to sum up in a few travel tips!
- Pros:A lot of historic sites, and nature close at hand
- Cons:THE FOG!!!!!
- In a nutshell:Would have loved to see more, but couldn't handle the fog anymore!
The whole point of our trip to Saint John was to watch my 15-year-old nephew Kevin compete at his very first National... more travel advice
The Saint John City Market first open in 1876, in the very same building where it still stands today. It is open 6 days... more travel advice
Jefie's Related Pages
Saint John Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City on the Bay of Fundy"
- "New Brunswick's Biggest Port"
- "Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada"
- "Saint John, New Brunswick"
- "Cabana Boy's Saint John Page"
- "Saint John: The FUN-dy City"
- "Saint John - A Beautiful City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint John
- Hotels in Saint John
- Transportation in Saint John
- Nightlife in Saint John
- Restaurants in Saint John
- Shopping in Saint John
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint John
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint John
- 15 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (60)
Have you been to Saint John?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint John
- Posted in Travel Gaspé Forum "Re: Nice town to stay overnight..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Saint John's farmer's market since 1876!"
- updated a Saint John Travel Page "The City on the Bay of Fundy"
- Wrote a Review Watching my nephew become Canadian champion! in Saint John Favorites
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Saint John travel pages
Photos in Saint JohnSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos
- Vienna Intro, 69 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 97 reviews, 190 photos
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 61 reviews, 218 photos
- Paris Intro, 71 reviews, 195 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 53 reviews, 188 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 178 photos
- Prague Intro, 53 reviews, 183 photos
- Budapest Intro, 56 reviews, 178 photos