"The big city on the West Coast" Vancouver by Jefie

Vancouver Travel Guide: 3,957 reviews and 8,257 photos

It took me a while to make up a page for Vancouver for the simple reason that I didn't exactly fall in love with the city on my first visit there. Vancouver is rather expensive, very modern, and quite rainy, and these are not things I usually look for when I travel. However, due to some glitch in the space-time continuum, I ended up going to Vancouver not once, not twice, but three times over a six-month period, and I have to admit that the "City of Glass" has grown on me a fair bit. The fact that the sun finally came out while I was there sure helped a lot (!), and I also need to thank VTers YVRDave for setting up a VT meeting, rmdw for showing me around the city, and Carmanah for her amazing Vancouver page. So I hope you enjoy the following tips that sum up my 2007 adventures on the Canadian West Coast!

Quick update: Since I wrote this intro paragraph, life brought me not once but twice to Vancouver, the latest occasion being the 2012 Karate National Championships where I got to watch my nephew compete and qualify for the Junior PanAm games. The competition took place at the Richmond Olympic Oval, and among the many amazing memories I bring back from this trip, I once again had the pleasure of spending an evening with YVRDave. In all honesty, I guess Vancouver truly isn't so bad after all!

• Pros:Water and mountains all around!
  • Cons:A bit expensive, rainy, and some social problems
  • In a nutshell:Third time's the charm?!
  • Last visit to Vancouver: Mar 2012
  • Intro Updated Dec 4, 2013

• Updated Comment
    mickeyboy07's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2013 at 4:18 AM

love your Canada pages,i have family on Vancouver island and travelled across Canada a few times,would like to add you as friend

Other comments
    Dec 29, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Nice updates from your 2012 visit. I'm glad you have come to the realization that Vancouver isn't so bad after all. (My brother has been living there for half a century and he still really likes the city.)

• Jefie's Profile Photo
      Dec 30, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Thanks Don! I might be adding some more tips soon: I'm going back to Vancouver in January, it's my niece's turn to be competing at the national championships :o)

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Have a great trip. And good luck to your niece.

Jan 11, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Hi Isa, I'm glad you started liking Vancouver on your third try. Good that you found some interesting bookstores and even did a tip on the new public library (my brother used to work there). In Vancouver they say it only rains once in the winter.

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Great tips on Vancouver. Was there in 2000 - need to return in the not too distant future:)x!

• j-san's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2009 at 8:55 PM

I really liked the Cat's Meow too, now it's called Cat's Social House.

• Jul 13, 2008 at 6:02 AM

Vancouver is another splendid Canadian city. As a fan of the WWE (professional wrestling), I am quite familiar with Vancouver as it has produced some of the best wrestlers in the history of the sport.

• Zajem's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 10:15 PM

Fabulous Vancouver page,Isa ;-)!!Sorry, that I dont have much time to read it all now.I promise I'll come back to read your info more in detail ;-).Zdravim z Ceske Republiky ;-)!Eman.

• Joseph69's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Great photos Isa! I noticed so many apartment buildings around the water. Love the mountain scenery behind the city! :) Joe.

• Dester's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2008 at 7:05 AM

Your Vancouver pages are Awesome. Could not put them down 'til I was done! Great Job Isa!!!

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Vancouver

Have you been to Vancouver?