"A city full of history" Top 5 Page for this destination Galveston by Jefie
Galveston Travel Guide: 279 reviews and 630 photos
History buffs won't know what to visit first in Galveston! Haunted by the ghosts of such pirates as Jean Lafitte, 19th century millionaires and the victims of the Great Storm of 1900, Galveston makes for a great tourist destination. Founded in 1836 by fellow quebecois(!) Michel Menard of La Prairie QC, Galveston quickly grew into one of the richest cities of the United States thanks to its prolific port, and The Strand became the "Wall Street of the southwest".
The Great Storm hit Galveston on September 8, 1900, destroying 1/3 of the city and killing over 6,000 people, making it the worst natural disaster in American history. Drastic measures were taken to prevent such an disastrous event from ever happening again: a 55,000 feet seawall was built along the Galveston's ocean front, and a large part of the city was literally raised by about 4 to 6 feet. The city thus overcame this great tragedy and although it never regained its pre-storm prosperity, it became a popular tourist spot thanks to its mild winters, cool summers and numerous attractions.
Galveston's Mardi Gras celebrations are sort of a PG 13 version of what goes on in New Orleans. There's a great party... more travel advice
The Strand truly is the heart of Galveston. You can easily spend an entire afternoon shopping for beachwear and candies... more travel advice
Jefie's Related Pages
Galveston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "When I Say "The Beach" This is It For Me"
- "GALVESTON IN DECEMBER"
- "Island Living, Texas Style!"
- "A city full of history"
- "Keeweechic's Galveston"
- "My New Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galveston
- Hotels in Galveston
- Transportation in Galveston
- Nightlife in Galveston
- Restaurants in Galveston
- Shopping in Galveston
- Warnings and Dangers in Galveston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galveston
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Galveston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galveston
Photos in GalvestonSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 69 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 97 reviews, 190 photos
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 53 reviews, 188 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 178 photos
- Prague Intro, 53 reviews, 183 photos
- Budapest Intro, 56 reviews, 178 photos
- Paris Intro, 60 reviews, 168 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid Intro, 66 reviews, 160 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 51 reviews, 148 photos