"Keep Austin Weird!" Top 5 Page for this destination Austin by Jefie

Austin Travel Guide: 1,138 reviews and 1,654 photos

Welcome to the Live Music Capital of the World! I kicked off my 2005 Texas tour in Austin and was immediately charmed by the laidback, small-town feel of the city. Austin is known as a hippy/slacker town, and I soon discovered that Austinites are very proud of their city's "weirdness" and do their best to entertain the myth, which makes it a really fun and unique place. Austin also has a pretty large student population and everything is really cheap, which makes it a perfect destination for young people traveling on a tight budget (that's me!).

When I traveled back to Texas in 2006, I made sure that Austin would once again be on our itinerary. We got to immerse ourselves in the city's weirdness by taking part in one of its most unique activities: watching thousands of bats fly underneath Congress Bridge! We also discovered an amazing blues band, watched the sunset at the Oasis, and we may have seen a ghost :o) All that's missing now is to watch a Longhorns football game - we just had to save some for next time!

• Pros:Live music everywhere!
  • Cons:Traffic on the highway can be a real pain
  • In a nutshell:Probably the best place to be on a Saturday night!
  • Last visit to Austin: Apr 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2010

• richteab's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Stayed here for a few days in Nov 09 & the review is accurate. Its a simple but clean & friendly hotel.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2008 at 7:08 PM

We don't have much time in Austin, drat no bats, but sounds like there's plenty to see with the little time we have :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2008 at 1:31 PM

Everybody who goes to Austin seems to like it a lot, and I see you are no exception. I enjoyed reading your informative and enthusiastic tips!

• Jul 9, 2008 at 5:05 PM

The tour is a blast but it doesn't start off at the Hideout Cafe anymore. The new starting place is from the Moonshine Patio Bar & Grill on East 3rd Street. The tour was a lot of fun and included just as much historical information as ghost stories.

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2006 at 11:38 AM

It was interesting to hear your impressions of Kerbey Lane Cafe. I am not big on shopping, but I love places like the Tesoros Trading Co. that you described. Interesting pages.

• butterfly_girl's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2005 at 6:29 AM

Looks like you had a great time in weird little Austin! Clay Pit is one of my favorite restaurants. Take care. Kym

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Austin