"Keep Austin Weird!" Top 5 Page for this destination Austin by Jefie
Austin Travel Guide: 1,156 reviews and 1,682 photos
Welcome to the Live Music Capital of the World! I kicked off my 2005 Texas tour in Austin and was immediately charmed by the laidback, small-town feel of the city. Austin is known as a hippy/slacker town, and I soon discovered that Austinites are very proud of their city's "weirdness" and do their best to entertain the myth, which makes it a really fun and unique place. Austin also has a pretty large student population and everything is really cheap, which makes it a perfect destination for young people traveling on a tight budget (that's me!).
When I traveled back to Texas in 2006, I made sure that Austin would once again be on our itinerary. We got to immerse ourselves in the city's weirdness by taking part in one of its most unique activities: watching thousands of bats fly underneath Congress Bridge! We also discovered an amazing blues band, watched the sunset at the Oasis, and we may have seen a ghost :o) All that's missing now is to watch a Longhorns football game - we just had to save some for next time!
- Pros:Live music everywhere!
- Cons:Traffic on the highway can be a real pain
- In a nutshell:Probably the best place to be on a Saturday night!
At 785 feet above sea level, Mount Bonnell offers a beautiful panoramic view of downtown Austin, the Colorado River,... more travel advice
I was a little surprised to hear about a French connection in Austin so I decided to stop by the French Legation Museum.... more travel advice
Jefie's Related Pages
Austin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Austin through the eyes of a local"
- "Austin-Off the Beaten Path"
- "Austin: Capital City of Texas"
- "The capital of the Lone Star State"
- "Keep Austin Weird!"
- "South by Southwest-Austin, Texas"
- "Awesome Austin"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Austin
- Hotels in Austin
- Transportation in Austin
- Nightlife in Austin
- Restaurants in Austin
- Shopping in Austin
- Warnings and Dangers in Austin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Austin
- 32 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Austin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Austin
Photos in AustinSee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos
- Vienna Intro, 69 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 97 reviews, 190 photos
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 61 reviews, 218 photos
- Paris Intro, 71 reviews, 195 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 53 reviews, 188 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 178 photos
- Prague Intro, 53 reviews, 183 photos
- Budapest Intro, 56 reviews, 178 photos