"The Pearl of the Pacific Northwest" Top 5 Page for this destination Portland by Jefie
Portland Travel Guide: 1,431 reviews and 2,937 photos
Some people call it the City of Roses or the City of Bridges, others like to call it P-Town, Stumptown or PDX. After having spent 4 days in Portland, I'd like to think that the variety of nicknames given to this great city reflects its diversity and uniqueness (some might even say weirdness!).
When I started planning this trip to the Pacific Northwest, I knew that Portland would be my final destination since I was going to attend the Jane Austen Society of North America (JASNA) AGM over the Halloween weekend. At first, I was more excited about visiting Seattle, but Sylvain kept telling me that Portland also was a fantastic city (he'd been there a few times when he was based out in Vancouver). Well, he was right as always: Portland turned out to be my favourite city on this Pacific Northwest trip!
For our very first day in the city, I had booked two visits with "Portland Walking Tours", which is the best thing I could have done. It allowed us to get a real insight into the city as it was (on the "Underground Portland" tour) and as it is today (on the "Best of Portland" tour). Portland definitely is a place like no other! On top of going to the conference, I managed to squeeze in a drag show and two loooooong visits to Powell's Books, I also visited the world's smallest park, ate a Voodoo doughnut, drank out of a Benson Bubbler, saw the 24-hour church of Elvis, and I somehow still managed to find time to stop by a different bar every evening for happy hour. Who knew this small city had so much to offer?!
- Pros:Happy hour, easy to get around, delightfully weird!
- Cons:The rain and clouds, although they were uncommonly sparse during our trip.
- In a nutshell:When can I go back??
In 1942, shortly after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States began fearing that Japan might be planning to... more travel advice
When the layout of the city was designed in 1845, plans were made to create a narrower strip of blocks between what is... more travel advice
- See All A legendary saloon in Portland
- When a bookstore becomes an attraction!
- "Mystery, Mayhem and Muslin in Portland"
- Get ready for the rain!
- See All Such a happy place!
Jefie's Related Pages
Portland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nearest Big City"
- "CITY OF ROSES, RIVERS AND MOUNTAIN CORGIS"
- "Portland, an great liveable city"
- "The Pearl of the Pacific Northwest"
- "If it's tourist season, can we shoot them?"
- "A beautiful city to visit even on a short trip"
- "We Gotta Get Out of This Place: Portland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portland
- Hotels in Portland
- Transportation in Portland
- Nightlife in Portland
- Restaurants in Portland
- Shopping in Portland
- Warnings and Dangers in Portland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portland
- 41 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Portland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portland
Photos in PortlandSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos
- Vienna Intro, 69 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 97 reviews, 190 photos
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 61 reviews, 218 photos
- Paris Intro, 71 reviews, 195 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 53 reviews, 188 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 178 photos
- Prague Intro, 53 reviews, 183 photos
- Budapest Intro, 56 reviews, 178 photos