"The Pearl of the Pacific Northwest" Top 5 Page for this destination Portland by Jefie

Portland Travel Guide: 1,407 reviews and 2,751 photos

Some people call it the City of Roses or the City of Bridges, others like to call it P-Town, Stumptown or PDX. After having spent 4 days in Portland, I'd like to think that the variety of nicknames given to this great city reflects its diversity and uniqueness (some might even say weirdness!).

When I started planning this trip to the Pacific Northwest, I knew that Portland would be my final destination since I was going to attend the Jane Austen Society of North America (JASNA) AGM over the Halloween weekend. At first, I was more excited about visiting Seattle, but Sylvain kept telling me that Portland also was a fantastic city (he'd been there a few times when he was based out in Vancouver). Well, he was right as always: Portland turned out to be my favourite city on this Pacific Northwest trip!

For our very first day in the city, I had booked two visits with "Portland Walking Tours", which is the best thing I could have done. It allowed us to get a real insight into the city as it was (on the "Underground Portland" tour) and as it is today (on the "Best of Portland" tour). Portland definitely is a place like no other! On top of going to the conference, I managed to squeeze in a drag show and two loooooong visits to Powell's Books, I also visited the world's smallest park, ate a Voodoo doughnut, drank out of a Benson Bubbler, saw the 24-hour church of Elvis, and I somehow still managed to find time to stop by a different bar every evening for happy hour. Who knew this small city had so much to offer?!

• Pros:Happy hour, easy to get around, delightfully weird!
  • Cons:The rain and clouds, although they were uncommonly sparse during our trip.
  • In a nutshell:When can I go back??
  • Last visit to Portland: Oct 2010
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2011

• glabah's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Glad to see that you enjoyed your time here.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2011 at 4:55 PM

You certainly made the most of your time here...I cant say the same...stuck in a weekend long conference my one and only time here in Portland..Great tips Isa!

• spidermiss's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Love the Portland tips!x

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Glad the Amtrak trip and the MAX light rail system were so pleasant. Portland certainly does sound unique -- they even have the world's very first Vegan strip club!

• Dester's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Voodoo donuts! I've never been but wow what a selection, maple bacon for me!

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Portland

Have you been to Portland?