"A beautiful town seated by the sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Portland by Jefie
Portland Travel Guide: 342 reviews and 602 photos
With a population of about 70,000, it can be hard to believe that Portland is the state's biggest city, but that's Maine for you! For such a small city, however, it sure has a lot to offer: arts, history and nature come together in this "beautiful town that is seated by the sea", as Portland native Henry Wardsworth Longfellow once described it. No wonder it made it on Frommer's list of Top 10 world destinations for 2007! So if you do plan on visiting Portland, just make to stay for a few days. I made the silly mistake of stopping by Portland for one day in August - three weeks later I was back for a fun and relaxing long weekend in a la New England!
- Pros:Quiet and beautiful, perfect for a relaxing and fun getaway
- Cons:Some might find it a bit too quiet
- In a nutshell:One of the jewels of New England
It was refreshing to see that Borders and Barnes and Noble were nowhere to be seen in downtown Portland. Instead, I came... more travel advice
There are several second-hand bookstores in Portland but my favorite one turned out to be Cunningham Books, a little... more travel advice
Jefie's Related Pages
Portland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coast and Trees for Dual Touring"
- "A beautiful town seated by the sea"
- "Portland, Maine"
- "Autumn to Spring"
- "Welcome to Portland"
- "Portland, Maine....a happening place!!"
- "Lobster for Dinner? That'll be Maine Then!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portland
- Hotels in Portland
- Transportation in Portland
- Nightlife in Portland
- Restaurants in Portland
- Shopping in Portland
- Warnings and Dangers in Portland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portland
- 23 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (66)
Have you been to Portland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portland
Photos in PortlandSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos
- Vienna Intro, 69 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 97 reviews, 190 photos
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 61 reviews, 218 photos
- Paris Intro, 71 reviews, 195 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 53 reviews, 188 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 178 photos
- Prague Intro, 53 reviews, 183 photos
- Budapest Intro, 56 reviews, 178 photos