"The literary heart and soul of the US" Top 5 Page for this destination Concord by Jefie
Concord Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 137 photos
Concord is located about 45 minutes away from Boston, and two things will usually draw people to this quiet little town: history and literature. History, because the Battle of Concord, which took place on April 19, 1775, effectively marked the beginning of the American Revolutionary War; and literature, because during the 19th century, Concord became the home of America's greatest and most influential writers: Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Bronson and Louisa May Alcott all contributed to turn Concord into "the biggest little place in America", according to fellow writer Henry James.
Over a century later, surprinsingly little seems to have changed in the charming town of Concord - the authors' homes are still there, the Minute Man is still looking over the North Bridge, and you can still enjoy a good pot roast at the local inn. So if you're ready to take a step back in time, make sure to add Concord to your list of places to discover!
- Pros:The home of transcendentalism and "Little Women"
- Cons:Almost impossible to visit on foot
- In a nutshell:A great day-trip idea when you're visiting Boston
Main Streets Market & Cafe is located at the heart of downtown Concord, and it seems to be a favorite with the locals... more travel advice
The Wayside, Orchard House, Emerson House and the Old Manse can only be visited by guided tours and, depending on the... more travel advice
Jefie's Related Pages
Concord Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Concord ~"
- "The next town over"
- "The literary heart and soul of the US"
- "zChris's Concord"
- "A Great Place for Bookworms"
- "Concord, Ma...literary heaven"
- "Concord, MA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Concord
- Hotels in Concord
- Transportation in Concord
- Restaurants in Concord
- Warnings and Dangers in Concord
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Concord
- 10 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (65)
Have you been to Concord?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Concord
Photos in ConcordSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Rome Intro, 60 reviews, 243 photos
- Vienna Intro, 69 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quebec Intro, 97 reviews, 190 photos
- New York City Intro, 74 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pays de la Loire Intro, 61 reviews, 218 photos
- Paris Intro, 71 reviews, 195 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caye Caulker Intro, 53 reviews, 188 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 59 reviews, 178 photos
- Prague Intro, 53 reviews, 183 photos
- Budapest Intro, 56 reviews, 178 photos