"Jane Austen's home from 1801 to 1809" Bath by Jefie

Bath Travel Guide: 911 reviews and 2,001 photos

May my camera rest in peace...

Bath is a small city located in Somerset, in the south-west of England. It is a place with an incredibly rich history, much of it stemming from its natural hot springs that were revered both by the Celts and the Romans as they subsequently occupied the territory, and later by the English tourists as the city became a popular spa destination during the 18th century.

Our main reason for spending a couple days in Bath during our week in England was that Jane Austen lived there from 1801 to 1809. Austen always made it very clear that she did not like Bath - in fact, she did not complete a single novel while she was living there, but she wrote about it extensively in two of her novels, "Northanger Abbey" and "Persuasion", both of which were published posthumously.

My friend Sylvia and I spent two full days touring around the city but unfortunately, as we were visiting the Roman baths, I dropped my camera and it broke :o( I therefore have only a few pics left to remember this beautiful city by, and I can only hope I get to visit Bath again someday to complete this travel page!

• Pros:Great history, many Jane Austen-related sites to visit
  • Cons:That's where my 15-year-old non-digital camera died
  • In a nutshell:Can't really understand why Austen disliked it so much!
  • Last visit to Bath: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 6, 2009

Comments

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Bath