"The home of Jane Austen" Chawton by Jefie

Chawton Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 8 photos

This charming little village located in Hampshire would probably go unnoticed by most travelers if it weren't for the fact that the famous English author Jane Austen (1775 - 1817) lived there from 1809 to 1817 and wrote some of her most celebrated novels in a lovely cottage house located at the heart of the village. There isn't much to see and do in Chawton but this won't stop true Jane Austen fans (like myself) from making the trip to England's countryside to visit the home of one of Britain's most beloved writers.

• Last visit to Chawton: May 2005
  • Intro Written Feb 10, 2006

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2009 at 3:28 PM

A must for Janeite's visiting England.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2008 at 10:22 AM

Good tips and nice photos of Chawton. I come from Hampshire and so know it very well. I love Jane Austen's novels too. She also spent part of her life in Southampton, where you can walk a Jane Austen trail.

• BTMonica's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2008 at 7:47 AM

I've never heard of Chawton, and I'm not sure if I ever honestly want to visit the town. It looks very creepy.

• Jul 13, 2008 at 5:28 AM

This village reminds me of the opening setting of the Movie Werewolf in London. I am huge admirer of everything English-especially what I consider to be one of the world's greatest institutions: the English Pub!

• Joseph69's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2007 at 5:46 PM

I thought I'd checkout a different page today... Baaaaaaa! The Greyfriar is so typical of England eh? I love these old pubs in little towns/villages. I wish I can be there now enjoying a beer and watching football (EPL) on the TV. Nice pics too. Joe. ;)

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2006 at 5:03 PM

Hi Isa, fascinating Chawton page. I've been to Alton several times but never made it this far - must do it next time. fergy.

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Chawton

Have you been to Chawton?

Latest Activity in Chawton