"Charming medieval/college city in Surrey" Top 5 Page for this destination Guildford by Jefie

Guildford Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 171 photos

When my friend Sylvia and I started making plans to spend a week touring around southern England, she suggested staying in Guildford, and it turned out to be a great idea! The history of Guildford dates back to the 10th century - back then it was a small Saxon village, which gradually turned into a town, complete with its own castle built after the Norman invasion.

Today, Guildford is a small college city with a big town feel. It is located at a very convenient distance from London (about 40 minutes by train) and its busy railway station makes it a great (and relatively cheap) place to stay when you are visiting southern England. I would definitely think about staying in Guildford again next time I'm in England!

• Last visit to Guildford: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 26, 2009

• BTMonica's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2008 at 7:52 AM

Guildford appears to be a place that would tickle my fancy. I enjoy places that give me an opportunity to be outside, walk around, and to speak with people. Were the locals friendly?

• Jul 13, 2008 at 5:44 AM

This is a very fascinating page. I especially loved reading about the Lewis Carroll tip. Simply awesome!!!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 6:01 AM

I'm hoping to take a walk here next weekend. Thanks for the introduction.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Useful tips, thanks for sharing

• Aug 9, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Hi Isa - checking who on VT has written about the spot of latest FMD outbreak in UK and surprise-surpise - a friend's among the top 5! How are you? Cheers, Marina

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Very helpful tips. I'm going to Guildford for the weekend and hoping to do some walking in the nearby countryside. Looks like a nice town with plenty to see.

• Joseph69's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 8:51 PM

There's a suburb in Sydney named Guildford! This UK Guildford is so much better! I didn't know that abt Alice in Wonderland. What is the doggie's name on your bed in the YMCA? Joe ;) x

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2006 at 7:16 AM

Great tips and photos of your time in Guildford! I've been in the area a few times but never to Guildford. My wife's brother lives next door in Farnham, so I'm usually tied up!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2006 at 10:17 PM

Thanks for telling me about Guilford. It seems to be my kind of place.

• Jul 11, 2006 at 1:43 PM

Great info about the YMCA - I shall be staying there this weekend - nice to see the room! Thanks! :))

Jefie

“"Travel is fatal to narrow-mindedness"”

Badges & Stats in Guildford

Have you been to Guildford?